• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex-boss tell everyone that I was fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolboricua

What is the name of your state? I live in FL and I know is a work at will state but here is my question. I quit my job, but HR did not accept my resignation and in turned terminated me for loss of confidence. I talked to everyone at HR and the President of the company but they refused to reverse their decision even when I tuned my resignation before they had me terminated. My boss says that she told me that I was fired before I turned in my resignation, which is not true. Now some of my co-workers are telling me that my manager told them that I was fired, but to tell my clients that I went somewhere else. I have 2 questions:
1. Can I sue the company for not protecting my privacy? If I quit or I was terminated that is none of anybody elses business.

2. I went the ruling overturn because I quit before anybody told me that I was terminated. Can I have a judge review what happen to have this overturned?

I really think that my boss wanted me out and that is why I quit. She was making me misserable the last few months. But to say that I was fired before I quit does not make sense. She accepted my resignation letter and everything.

justalayman

1. Can I sue the company for not protecting my privacy? If I quit or I was terminated that is none of anybody elses business.
You have no right of privacy. As long as he is not defaming you, he can call up the queen of England and tell her the story if he wants.

2. I went the ruling overturn because I quit before anybody told me that I was terminated. Can I have a judge review what happen to have this overturned?
I would suppose but unless this is a very highly paid job, is it worth a LOT of money to fight for it. As well, you could also lose.

I really think that my boss wanted me out and that is why I quit. She was making me misserable the last few months. But to say that I was fired before I quit does not make sense. She accepted my resignation letter and everything.
You are right. If they wanted you out and they claim to have fired you, why would they wait?

If the guy publicizes incorrect info and it is injurious to you, you can sue but it won't be cheap and most likely it will be directly out of your pocket to sue him.

coolboricua

Thanks for the response

I dont really want to go back to that you. But it will hunt me forever every time another potential employer calls to verify employment. That is why I resigned before anyone terminated me.

Beth3

1. Can I sue the company for not protecting my privacy? If I quit or I was terminated that is none of anybody elses business. Your employment history and reasons for separation are not protected information. Your employer can take out a billboard posting that info if they wish to.

2. I went the ruling overturn because I quit before anybody told me that I was terminated. Can I have a judge review what happen to have this overturned? No. This isn't a "ruling" - it's a decision your employer made. The court system has no say on this and nothing to do with it.

If your employer wants to consider your separation an involuntary termination, despite your wish to have them consider it a resignation, that's their call to make.

Beth3

But it will hunt me forever every time another potential employer calls to verify employment. That is why I resigned before anyone terminated me.

P.S. Even if they had accepted your resignation, if contacted for a reference your former employer is free to tell other employers about whatever performance problems you had and that they would have fired you if you hadn't resigned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">