• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a prospective employer ask you to provide copies of your current paycheck stub

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ggcho5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I interviewed with this educational institution in Virginia. Ended up being their 1st pick. The HR person asked for my desired salary. I said X amount which was within the salary range they advertised. However, the HR person asked me to provide the copy of my two most recent checkstub from my current employer. That HR person is still very new with this institution of learning. Not sure if that is something built-in HR policy at that instiution whenever salary negotiation is taking place or something she was doing in her previous job in private sector. The request is intrusive and unusual. I complied because I wanted to fully pursue the job as I was their 1st pick even though it can now go to their 2nd pick.

I don't think there is any law regulating this kind of request as many times authorities will say, we don't get involved in such and such matter.

Anyone know more than me? Thanks.

OHRoadwarrior

There is no law saying you must provide them. On the other hand, there is no law saying they cannot remove you form consideration for not providing them.

ggcho5

Yes, that is exactly what I thought from my experience with government authorities in VA or anyplace. However, it is more than crystal clear that most employers, if not all, will try to hire all new employees at the bottom of the salary range. Their job is to pay you as little as possible.

swalsh411

You are always free to attempt to negotiate your pay. If you feel their offer is not fair or you could do better you are free to not work there.

ggcho5

swalsh411 : You are absolutely correct. We all have that right even the employers if they end up becoming employees themselves. I will wait and see if this institution of higher learning's HR gets back to me. If not, it will be obvious the job went to the person who scored 2nd in this interviewing/hiring process.

las365

you are not required to keep these records .. so just tell them you have no records to provide.
OP already provided the records that were requested.

And, OP, I don't know what criteria was used by whomever told you that you were the 1st pick, but whatever it may have been, absent a law requiring that some verifiable objective test must be used to determine who is hired, it doesn't require them to hire you.

ggcho5

OP already provided the records that were requested.

And, OP, I don't know what criteria was used by whomever told you that you were the 1st pick, but whatever it may have been, absent a law requiring that some verifiable objective test must be used to determine who is hired, it doesn't require them to hire you.
I know that.

Without getting into intrusive subject of how I know I was their 1st pick, no one in a free economy is required to hire anyone in any circumstances. Even if you are hired by an employer, they are not required to keep you under any circumstances unless they want to or need to. They can also terminate you with or without reason. If there is a reason it can be anything maybe barring political incorrectness. It is called employent-at-will, and is totally and absolutley legal. They can make the offer and even rescind it if they change their mind.

Bottom line when it comes to granting/keeping/terminating employment, it is employers' prerogative. You can only get what they give you unless maybe if you are a powerful insider's nephew or niece.

Last edited:

las365

Thanks, I already know what "at will" employment is. :rolleyes:
They can also terminate you with or without reason. If there is a reason it can be anything maybe barring political incorrectness.
Well, no, there are reasons for termination that are illegal under various laws in the US. But no need to go into that further in this thread.

ggcho5

Thanks, I already know what "at will" employment is. :rolleyes:
Well, no, there are reasons for termination that are illegal under various laws in the US. But no need to go into that further in this thread.
Ok, you know more than me. Are you happy now?:)

eerelations

Ok, you know more than me. Are you happy now?:)
Your sarcasm is completely unwarranted and out of line. You came here asking questions and the experts here gave you relevant and accurate information in response. And instead of a simple thanks you say this??? Take your nasty snide little self elsewhere, now.

ggcho5

Your sarcasm is completely unwarranted and out of line. You came here asking questions and the experts here gave you relevant and accurate information in response. And instead of a simple thanks you say this??? Take your nasty snide little self elsewhere, now.
Ok, I will. Preferably offline as offline discussions tend to be healthier and more appropriate as people can see each other and get some feel for the situation instead of blindly struggling to win a debate as often happens online. Thank you all for the info, and my apologies if anyone took offense even though the offense was fully returned to me. I do not want to make an issue out of someone calling me online as a "nasty snide little self" as a defamation as that someone doesn't know myself or this situation well enough. I hope this is enough, and we can just move on.

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I interviewed with this educational institution in Virginia. Ended up being their 1st pick. The HR person asked for my desired salary. I said X amount which was within the salary range they advertised. However, the HR person asked me to provide the copy of my two most recent checkstub from my current employer. That HR person is still very new with this institution of learning. Not sure if that is something built-in HR policy at that instiution whenever salary negotiation is taking place or something she was doing in her previous job in private sector. The request is intrusive and unusual. I complied because I wanted to fully pursue the job as I was their 1st pick even though it can now go to their 2nd pick.

I don't think there is any law regulating this kind of request as many times authorities will say, we don't get involved in such and such matter.

Anyone know more than me? Thanks.

Hm, the bolded seems like a little foreboding of just how the thread would play out, no?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">