• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Salaried Employees Be Docked for Lateness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanine

In NY. I am a salaried employee for a small company (less than 15 employees). It was recently brought up that we must make up time if we leave early or come in late. If not, the time is deducted from our sick/personal or vacation days.

Since we're not paid by the hour, I thought this was illegal. And since we're on salary, we don't get compensated for overtime or hours worked above and beyond the normal 9-5:30.

Again, I heard it was illegal. Anyone know?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Assuming that by salaried you mean exempt (all exempt employees are salaried; not all salaried employees are exempt) it would be illegal to dock your PAY but it is not illegal to keep your paycheck whole by deducting from leave time such as sick or vacation.

jeanine

How do I know if I am exempt? I'm not even sure what that means or what criteria I would have to meet. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">