• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Salary be lowered in MA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mouse7

I have a friend who works in Massachusetts. He took a job in which he was offered a certain salary with a bonus. Now 1 year later, the boss wants to lower his base salary. Can the boss do this legally?
Thanks in advance for any help!

D

dancer61958

Have your friend call the Attorney General's office and ask them. They can be very helpful and if it isn't legal, they will investigate it for him. Was this put in writing? If it was put in writing, it can deffinately be fought. I would think this kind of thing wouldn't be legal in any state. I live in Mass to and have never heard of anyone trying to lower someone's salary before.

M

mouse7

Thank you dancer61958!

I contacted the Attorney General and they stated that there is no law in MA against the lowering of salary.
However, it can be a breach of contract.
Thanks again for the suggestion!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">