• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a Supervisor switch your hours permanently?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOEHB

I live in Maryland, work in Washington D.C., and the corporate office is in Virgina. I woul like to know if a Supervisor can permanently or at least for 3 months change an employee's hours, which when hired did not agree to work. For example the supervisor wants me to now work a different position and time. My normal hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and the other position's hours are from 11:30 am to 8:00 pm. Is there anyway I can refuse to work this change in position and hours?

BelizeBreeze

Unless you are a member of a union with a collective bargaining agreement that stipulates to the contrary or have an employment contract which stipulates to the contrary, your supervisor is free to tell you when and where to work.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is there anyway I can refuse to work this change in position and hours?

This is a free country. If you want to refuse the changes, you are free to do so.

However, your employer is also in a free country, and if you refuse to work the hours he says, he is free to fire you.

It's a toss up whether or not you would get unemployment.

If your question is, can I refuse to work this change and not have to worry about being fired, no, you cannot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">