• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they Change the Job Qualifications afterwards?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Assertive65

What is the name of your state? PA

Can my employer change the job qualifications after the interview process? The employer posted a position with certain qualifications. Several people were interviewed for the position. Some of us were qualified.

When I asked for an update, the HR person said they are still looking for someone with certain qualifications. I said "Could I ask you what qualifications you are looking for that I do not have" The HR person said "previous supervisor experience etc. I asked him if he could require the NEW person to have this experience, when two out of three that already do that job do not have the qualifications? The HR person said "Yes, because they change the grade level"

Three people are doing the same job, one is a 108, one is a 109 and one is a 110. The original post for this position was a 109?

I think the only reason they changed the qualifications was to eliminate us from getting the job.

Again:
1) Can an employer change the job qualifications after the interview process?
2) Is it legal to require the NEW person to have certain qualifications, when 2 others do not meet these requirements?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answers to your questions are yes and yes. The only way this would be illegal would be if they were trying to eliminate someone (or several someones) BECAUSE OF their race, gender, age etc.

A

Assertive65

Here are some actions that have taken place prior to the job posting - Female - Pennsylvania
Please read - It's important to me - I need advice -
The first 1 1/2 of employment was great! Then, My supervisor asked me to report when the employees did not do their tasks properly. Also, I had an employee written up for disrespecting me. Since then, going to work has been hell. I was harassed by the employees verbally and emails. I was then moved to a different area with the same employee I had written up. He made me feel very uncomfortable. In the area, I saw men in their underwear and urinating outside. I was asked to cover another area. I was mentally stressed working with my supervisor daily. He would always be comparing with others. I ended up taking a mental leave of absence. When I returned, I went to his boss and said I could not take working with my supervisor anymore. He told me to go back up there until they figure out what to do. I called out of work until they agreed to move me. I was then moved. Where life was great again. Then I was told I had to go back working with my boss. I told them I could not. So they said they would figure it out later. I applied for a different job posting. I am qualified for it. After the interview process, they changed the qualifications, to eliminate some of us. The other people doing the job now are not even qualified with the new requirements. I have trained a man in my areas, his has advanced in his title and I have not in 5 years. I went for a supervisor's job and was asked if I think I could handle being the first women supervisor. I asked for my personnel files and within the hour was sent for a drug test. I have worked overtime (a lot of people have) without pay. I think they are just trying to get me to quit...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay. If you are a non-exempt employee (paid hourly) then it was illegal for them not to pay you for the overtime and you can file a complaint with the Department of Labor and Industry. Outside of that, while I realize how uncomfortable it was, nothing you have posted is illegal. Life isn't always fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">