• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they dictate Sub S Shareholder Attire???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdd

What is the name of your state? Live in MD

Background: I am one of ten equal sharholders in a Subchapter S Corporation registered in Ohio, subject to the laws of Ohio. We have about 35 employees. I have become increasingly disenfranchised with a few fellow shareholders whose egos have become inflated since being elected as officers of the corporation.

The annual shareholder meeting has been announced. I know this will probably seem trivial to many of you, but to me it is disturbing. The meeting notice indicated we should wear 'business casual' and that jeans and baseball caps are considered as unacceptable attire.

Question: This is the last straw. Can I be legally blocked from attending the annual shareholders meeting of these shabbily attired colleagues if I wear jeans.

Thanks,
jdd

S

seniorjudge

"...This is the last straw. Can I be legally blocked from attending the annual shareholders meeting of these shabbily attired colleagues if I wear jeans..."

Why do you want to die on this hill?

I'd say they had the authority to make reasonable regulations covering this meeting.

C

CheeseBlotto

Pick your battles lest you spend all of your time fighting. Not worth the energy to worry about. It sounds like you have bigger issues in regards to this company. Keep your eye on the ball.

jdd

Is the color of my pants a reasonable regulation?.....Could they (they being the president of the company) ban argyle socks and penny loafers if they had such a whim?

HomeGuru

jdd said:
What is the name of your state? Live in MD

Background: I am one of ten equal sharholders in a Subchapter S Corporation registered in Ohio, subject to the laws of Ohio. We have about 35 employees. I have become increasingly disenfranchised with a few fellow shareholders whose egos have become inflated since being elected as officers of the corporation.

The annual shareholder meeting has been announced. I know this will probably seem trivial to many of you, but to me it is disturbing. The meeting notice indicated we should wear 'business casual' and that jeans and baseball caps are considered as unacceptable attire.

Question: This is the last straw. Can I be legally blocked from attending the annual shareholders meeting of these shabbily attired colleagues if I wear jeans.

Thanks,
jdd
**A: why not wear a tank top with speedo's and platform shoes.

jdd

We are talking about a private, annual shareholders meeting of a tiny Sub S company in the poorest city in America, with our closest customer over 100 miles away. It's a simple question. Does he have a legal reight to bar me from this meeting because of the color of my pants? And yes i am willing to die on this hill if I am in the right. It's is a question of principal which, it would appear from this forum, carries no legal standing in such matters..... Besides, it's too cold in Cleveland this time of year for my speedo.

C

CheeseBlotto

jdd said:
We are talking about a private, annual shareholders meeting of a tiny Sub S company in the poorest city in America, with our closest customer over 100 miles away. It's a simple question. Does he have a legal reight to bar me from this meeting because of the color of my pants? And yes i am willing to die on this hill if I am in the right. It's is a question of principal which, it would appear from this forum, carries no legal standing in such matters..... Besides, it's too cold in Cleveland this time of year for my speedo.
Fine, if you're determined to pick this battle, yes, they absolutely can bar you. Happy?

S

seniorjudge

jdd said:
Well, actually, we in the legal arena call it principle.

But, alas, your question was asked and answered.

jdd

Thanks, all. I don't fight battles that I am destined to lose. I'll save my load for another day.

C

CheeseBlotto

jdd said:
Thanks, all. I don't fight battles that I am destined to lose. I'll save my load for another day.
Just curious, just what do you think would have been gained from winning such a battle?

jdd

It's not a matter of things to be gained. If it was a pleasant request instead of an order, it would have been easier to swallow. Blue jeans are standard fare for most of us in the workplace, and in our private lives. I own an equal share of the company and I resent this action as one in a long series of events from a hypocritical, control freak of a scumbag flexing a mucscle that doesn't need to be flexed.

BelizeBreeze

jdd said:
It's not a matter of things to be gained. If it was a pleasant request instead of an order, it would have been easier to swallow. Blue jeans are standard fare for most of us in the workplace, and in our private lives. I own an equal share of the company and I resent this action as one in a long series of events from a hypocritical, control freak of a scumbag flexing a mucscle that doesn't need to be flexed.
There is a very simple solution. Sell your damn shares and walk around in that speedo all you want. In the meantime, quit your whinning. You sound like a 12 year-old momma's boy pissing and moaning about a haircut. :rolleyes:

C

CheeseBlotto

Thanks. I think life's just too short, but you're certainly entitled to spend whatever time you're given in this life however you see fit.

jdd

belizebreeze, looks like your the spinless one to me. Ever seen a line you dindn't want to tow?

HomeGuru

jdd said:
belizebreeze, looks like your the spinless one to me. Ever seen a line you dindn't want to tow?

**A: correct. Once I tried to spin Breezy but he just kept flipping over like a dead fish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">