• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jersey7

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? New Jersey

I worked for a large company for 21 years that had a hostile takeover 2 years ago. The company that took us over, was one in which my sales manager had a previous law suit with and had won. Since the time of the take over, it had been know that my sales manager had this previous suit and basically they were out to get him. I have a good relationship with him and we worked very closely, as I was the customerservice manager - and his project manager. I strongly believe because of my relationship, this was a resoning factor that I was let go. They called it "restructuring". They divided our plants into 2 divisions, and my department was moved over to the other facility, leaving me on my own. Since this occured, they left my facility with no upper management, just left in limbo. It had become a very stressful enviornment. They have tried to insinuate that I was not doing certain taskes, but I argued that I had done as I was instructed to do. I even rec. an email (coping the General Manager) that I had a temp.working for me that was not doing her job, and when I responded to it, I rec. another email, this time not COPING the GM and this one stated, that her non performance was usually when I was not there. We KNEW that something was going to happen.
When I was let go, again based on "restructuring" They only let 3 of us go (my salesmanager, and myself and another man). Both he and I had a good working relationship w/my salesmanager, who we knew they wanted to "get rid of"
Another fellow, they offered him a position at the other plant in customer service (which is my background, not his) and he accepted. I guess my question is CAN THEY DO THIS?? I realize there is a lot more to this than I can explain in an email format, but I would like your feelings on this!
In my mind, it is discrimination (due to my salesmanager),
harrassing (the insinuations, trying to throw "darts") and then they put someone in a POSITION that I COULD HAVE EASILY FILLED?? and transitioned into as my whole department had been.
Any input would be appreciated,
thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can do this.

What you describe is neither illegal discrimination nor harassment. They have no legal obligation to put you into another position, no matter how easily you could have filled it, unless you had a binding contract that says otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">