• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Herblu1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? IL

I am being forced to attend a yearly convention that was not disclosed to me during my interview nor in my job description. THe individual that held this position b4 me was not forced to attend and had attended her last convention 10 years b4 I started. This convention has nothing to do with my job or my function. I am an additional worker bee or cheap labor. I am in middle management. There is times that we have to work from 6:30 am to midnight with limited or no time for meals.

1st..Can I be forced to attend this convention?
2nd..If fired for refusing to attend can I seek compensation for wrongful termination
3rd..Can they make you work from morning to midnight with no additional pay or time for meals?

Sockeye

1). Yes an employer can require it. That requirement does not have to be disclosed at time of hire. It's great that as much information that can be covered is, but there is always going to be details that is missed.

2) You can be termed for it, and it wouldn't be considered "wrongful termination", that lable has specific legal requirments in which the termination decisoin was based, and your situation doesn't come near that.

3) If it's a truly salaried exempt position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">