• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do that?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FedUpInIllinois2

My husband worked for a company for several months then put in his 2 weeks notice to pursue a better paying job. He went back several months later to reapply and after alot of run around he was told he was inelegible for rehire. He asked why? but was not given a answer. Can they not rehire him if he left in good standing. Can he sue them?? Does anybody know the labor law concerning this in Illinois???

B

buddy2bear

Unless you are a member of a union or have an employment contract, an employer has the right (so long as it does not violate any laws) to hire, fire, promote, demote, transfer, layoff, etc. Apparently, since your husband quit after a couple of months, the company is afraid that if they rehire him, then he will "take off" again when he finds something he believes will be better. The company has a legitimate reason for not rehiring him -- the time and money -- possible training costs, insurance costs, setting up personnel files, etc., that were expended when they originally hired your husband. They obviously don't want invest this again only to have your husband leave.

F

FedUpInIllinois2

Thanks for the input

I am also employed where he used to work but thru a contractul company. So they don't pay me or give me benifits. I have been out there for 2&1/2 years thru this conract company. He was a union member. I understand what you said about rehiring him but I have seen them rehire people 2 and 3 times over the past 2&1/2 years. These people who was rehired was either fired for neglect or abuse to the clients we care for and they shouldn't have been rehired. I heard thru the grapevine that one of the head honchos didn't like him because he was a straight forward person and didn't like seeing the clients being neglected. They wanted him to snitch on these people. He told them if they was more involved with the clients they would see for themself. They didn't want to hear that they wasn't doing their jobs. Any further replys would be welcome. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">