• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they fire me for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frayed_knot

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I'm a nurse. I applied for a job. A recruiter called immediately and set up an interview.

Two days later I got a conditional offer for employment.

I passed reference, background and medical checks. During the medical exam, I informed the examiner that I have chronic depression and take medication for it. I do not require any accomodations that I can see at this point.

I'm supposed to start Tuesday next week. I'm in a state run program for RNs with depression and other mental illness and I called my supervisor to inform her as is required in my contract with the state. According to my contract, my supervisor has to fill out a short performance report every quarter to verify that I am performing in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act and Public Health Code. There are no other restrictions on my license.

Now the supervisor has given the impression that she does not want me working for her even though my doctor and the state licensing board have verified my fitness for duty. She feels that I should have informed her of my disability and participation in the progtram during the interview but I didn't think I was legally obligated to do that until after I received a formal offer for employment.

Does this amount to discrimination and if so, can she fire me anyway since I am in the probationary period?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts regarding my predicament.

BelizeBreeze

Without knowing what your state licensing board says on the matter, there is no way we can give you an informed opinion.

The fact is, your licensing board will either tell you that it is a requirement to disclose and when. THEN you will get an answer to the question.

frayed_knot

I do not even have a formal contract yet so I am not technically in the program. A social worker from the program called me last week and told me that I meet the criteria for entry. I voluntarily reported myself two months ago.

She said I am not formally in the program until she completes the contract, I sign it and get it notarized and send it back. At that time, the monitoring agreement officially begins.

This morning social worker called and told me that before she can complete the contract, I need to inform future supervisor. I did so immediately following her call. Future supervisor sounded angry and told me she intended to call human resources.

I'm feeling hopeless.

frayed_knot

More info. Please help!

Okay, I found the answer:

The booklet reads:

Once you have been approved to return to work, the following are required:

* Talk with your employer (or potential employer) about your participation in HPRP

My doctor did not officially approve my return to work until today.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">