• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they fire me for poor perf. due to illness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sick&Tired

Can they fire me for short term poor performance for being ill? Am I covered under ADA? List of relevant events below.

* Diagnosed w/ PTSD 2 years ago - treated w/ therapy & meds
* Started job as contract employee July 2000
* Hired as full-time employee to new position in Jan. 2001
* Started feeling deep fatigue in Feb.
* Changed meds in Feb. - notified boss of med change for unstated medical condition & potential side affects of fatigue, in ability to focus, naseau, etc.
* Diagnosed w/ hypo-thyroidism in April 2001. Genetic illness both mother & great-grandmother affected.
* Notified employer of illness & affects: deep fatigue memory loss, loss of concentration, "brain fog", muscle aches, joint pain, over-sensitivity to cold & depression. http://thyroid.about.com/health/thyroid/library/weekly/aa042100a.htm
* Under Dr. recommendation & care took 3 weeks of leave (used up sick & vacation time, no short-term disability) worked w/ HR & benefits office.
* Returned to work mid-May 2001
* Dr. wrote work accomodation request to allow me to work from home 1 day a week for next 2 months.
* Manager spoke to me on week I returned about poor job performance. He then went on vacation for 2.5 weeks
* Manager returned to work today
* Today Manager & his boss gave me written notice of poor work performance & said I can be terminated at any time.

When I mentioned that my performace issues were related to my illness and I had been upfront w/ them about that. They told me my illness could not/would not be taken into account for my poor performance.

My Dr. put me on medication right away and I am being treated currently. I will have to be treated for the remainder of my life. If my thyroid hormones are stabilized I should be able to work normally, but this requires on-going treatment & analysis of my blood levels.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">