• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can they fire me while out under doctors care and on temporary disability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

plateman3

I am in North Carolina
I was told by my supervisor that in my abscence from work the company decided to make changes in my position, to install new equipment that no longer required my expertise,as this decision was made i was out of work on temporary disability under a doctors care.I asked if i still was employed by the company and the answer was no.
I do not have a contract with the company but can they do this with me being out under doctors orders?

D

daniel123456

disability fired

unfortunantly the fact remains the federal government has done little to protect the citizans when it comes to providing any job security.living in a nation that prides ourselves of having a democracy,and capitalism being the driving force for its economy,lets the employer to have great discretion upon making a choice to keep people,or to replace them with technology,or to lay them off.in other words like the southern states the people here have what they call the right to work states,the employers have the right to employ you,and also has the same powers to fire you for the best intrest of their company,whether their choice is made for the best intrest of the stockholders,or otherwise,i know in the state of sc.if one becomes ill.and an employer fires you,you will be disqualified for 6 weeks of any un-employment checks,i know,because i had went thru it,and i only missed 1 day,and only 5 days out of 2 years.that was an attempt i beleive of the state to prevent having to pay the money out.but of course i am a stubborn person,but a person with strong beleifs,that we cannot be trampled upon because of our dependancy on those who have the wealth.so i stayd,and sufferd to prove a point that these rules were wrong.and i drew the benefits.but it was at a high price.because the checks only pays a percentage of what one would be making,therefor it slowed the debts,but did not stop,or prevent them.but i would do it again,just for the principle of it.but the answer is yes they can,based on that they will ascert that it was for the benefit of the bussiness to automate,not because you were hurt,or disabled.i am not an attorney,please seek the advice of one in your area.good-luck,friends.

P

plateman3

I dont understand how anyone is supposed to make a living in this state if there is no constitution to protect the working class.thank you for your advice,and i did contact lawyers to no avail.maybe i should try for unemployment although i have worked all my life since i was 14 and i hate to take money on a freewill basis.I know i worked for it and i did apply for it but there seems to be some sort of redtape in that department also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">