• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they keep my wages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jcolon515

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

OK..so i found a new job..YAAY great im happy..now my current job i found thru a it recruiting firm. The position was a 2 year contract to work here. Its not perm. I already gave my two weeks notice so my final day is nov 8th. yayay:) Problem is, my hours right now are not working with my family life. and I have some serious personal health things that have come up. ....and so I'm really thinking of making today my last day. Well the only thing it states in my contract is I'm required to give a 2 week notice. So I did. Do i HAVE to stay for my two weeks? And if I do leave can they keep my wages?:confused:

moburkes

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

OK..so i found a new job..YAAY great im happy..now my current job i found thru a it recruiting firm. The position was a 2 year contract to work here. Its not perm. I already gave my two weeks notice so my final day is nov 8th. yayay:) Problem is, my hours right now are not working with my family life. and I have some serious personal health things that have come up. ....and so I'm really thinking of making today my last day. Well the only thing it states in my contract is I'm required to give a 2 week notice. So I did. Do i HAVE to stay for my two weeks? And if I do leave can they keep my wages?:confused:
I don't know what your contract says in regards to not staying. However, no, they cannot keep your wages.

How, if you have personal problems and health issues, are you planning on starting your new job?

TinkerBelleLuvr

The employer must pay you for time works. Have you asked the employer if they really need you to stay on? Sometimes, they really don't need the two weeks notice.

Jcolon515

I don't know what your contract says in regards to not staying. However, no, they cannot keep your wages.

How, if you have personal problems and health issues, are you planning on starting your new job?
Well I was planning on taking one week off (next week) to go visit my drs and get this all straightned out. Family issues are mostly that the hours that im currently working which are 1pm to 11pm has affected my children, because I'm not home, therefore their grades are slipping and so forth. My new job will be 8am to 5pm so that's a plus.

I just heard of other people that in their contracts though it states clearly if they don't give a two weeks notice they keep their wages. I read my agreement about 50 times and the only thing it says is that I'm required to give a two weeks notice so they can find a replacement. Needless to say we've had like 4 people leave and none have been replaced. :eek:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are NO circumstances under which an employer can keep wages for time actually worked. They may not have to pay out a notice period, but time worked MUST be paid. There are NO exceptions.

You may have talked to people who had contracts that said wages would be held under certain circumstances. That does NOT mean that those contracts would hold up in a court of law.

Jcolon515

There are NO circumstances under which an employer can keep wages for time actually worked. They may not have to pay out a notice period, but time worked MUST be paid. There are NO exceptions.

You may have talked to people who had contracts that said wages would be held under certain circumstances. That does NOT mean that those contracts would hold up in a court of law.
hey cbj what exactly does that mean..sorry if i sound stupid..i just didn't undertand that one part..??

eerelations

"Two weeks' notice" means that you advise your employer that you're leaving the job in two weeks, and then you stay and work those two weeks. It does NOT mean that you tell your employer that you're leaving the job in two weeks, and then you stop working sometime before those two weeks are up.

Ergo, since you gave your employer two weeks' notice, you are expected to stay and work those two weeks...

...especially since you have a contract that says so!

If you leave before the two weeks are up, you may be penalized, depending on what the contract says. Unless the contract specifies that your employer may keep your wages, then it's unlikey that he/she can do so. HOWEVER, he/she may still sue you for leaving early - and he/she will probably win.

In addition, your current employer will be free to tell your future prospective employers all about this, i.e., "That rotten so-and-so gave me two weeks' notice and then walked off the job early!!!" This will give your future prospective employers cause to seriously re-think their plans to hire you.

Jcolon515

"Two weeks' notice" means that you advise your employer that you're leaving the job in two weeks, and then you stay and work those two weeks. It does NOT mean that you tell your employer that you're leaving the job in two weeks, and then you stop working sometime before those two weeks are up.

Ergo, since you gave your employer two weeks' notice, you are expected to stay and work those two weeks...

...especially since you have a contract that says so!

If you leave before the two weeks are up, you may be penalized, depending on what the contract says. Unless the contract specifies that your employer may keep your wages, then it's unlikey that he/she can do so. HOWEVER, he/she may still sue you for leaving early - and he/she will probably win.

In addition, your current employer will be free to tell your future prospective employers all about this, i.e., "That rotten so-and-so gave me two weeks' notice and then walked off the job early!!!" This will give your future prospective employers cause to seriously re-think their plans to hire you.

OK THEN!!! well said!!! i guess i gotta stick around nah don't i!?? :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In addition, sometime you will give your employer two weeks notice and they will say, thank you, you can leave today. EVEN THEN, they do not have to pay you for the time you did not work (even though you were willing to); however, they MUST pay you for all the time you actually worked.

Jcolon515

In addition, sometime you will give your employer two weeks notice and they will say, thank you, you can leave today. EVEN THEN, they do not have to pay you for the time you did not work (even though you were willing to); however, they MUST pay you for all the time you actually worked.
i was acutally hoping for that..but it didn't happen..as my manager here we havne't seen in a lil over 3 weeks now!?!?!! and i emailed them like 3 times..no response..how nice..lol..:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">