• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can They Lower my wage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chase_83

minnesota - i work at a call center and recently the hours were changed to 7am. - 11p.m. due to this change everybody must change their work schedule. the manager decided to have schedule bid for all employees. i am one of five lead csrs. the bid is based off of seniority. i am the last person who gets a pick so i get whatever is left over. i also go to school 20 hours a week from 8:00-10:00 every morning. the schedule that i was forced into is unable for me to accomidate to yet they will not work with me on changing it so it will work for me. now my question is. based off all this information i can either deal with the change in my schedule and get literally no sleep most of the week or demote myself back to a csr. due to this. can my employer legally lower my hourly wage because of my self demotion due to the schedule conflict?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can. Quite frankly, the fact that you are going to school part time isn't their problem, and they are not required to amend their scheduling requirements to accomodate you. If you self-demote yourself, or alternately if they demote you, they can lower your wage to the lesser level. I'm not saying they will, because some companies will allow you to keep your same wage if it's not too terribly different. But legally they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">