• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they make me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

No CDL

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Here is my situation.

I have been working for an environmental company w/ one of its offices here in Indiana since 1999. I hired on as a project manager for this firm and came aboard w/ no CDL (commercial drivers license). This past November they have requested at first, now it is a threat, for me to get my CDL. When I hired on they knew I had no CDL, and did not have any wish to get my CDL. The initial hiring had no conversation concerning me obtaining a CDL for continued employment. But they have now since stated that this was a requirement for the position, even though management stated that there is some "wiggle" room in enforcing this requirement. I did go through some hoops and get my DOT Medical Card in hopes to settle the issue, but this did not.

I have done some policy searching for this company and found that they restrict any one who has asthma from obtaining a CDL. I have asthma (have been under medication for the past 12 years or so) and during my January office visit w/ my Dr. I received a note stating that he did not want me to obtain a CDL which I forwarded to our Health and Safety Mgr.

They are threatening me w/ holding my end of year bonus and or possible firing for this situation.

Do I have any recourse?

Thanks,

Beth3

Yes, they can require you to obtain a CDL and terminate your employment if you refuse or are unable to do so.

If your asthma is severe enough so that it qualifies as a disability under the ADA (a medical condition which "significantly impairs a major life function") then you need to tell your employer that and the two of you need to enter into an interactive process to determine whether a reasonable accommodation is possible. A note from your doctor stating he does not want you to get a CDL does not fit the bill. Even if your asthma qualifies as a disability, that still does not mean the employer cannot require you to get a CDL if it's an essential function of your job.

S

seniorjudge

No CDL said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

Here is my situation.

I have been working for an environmental company w/ one of its offices here in Indiana since 1999. I hired on as a project manager for this firm and came aboard w/ no CDL (commercial drivers license). This past November they have requested at first, now it is a threat, for me to get my CDL. When I hired on they knew I had no CDL, and did not have any wish to get my CDL. The initial hiring had no conversation concerning me obtaining a CDL for continued employment. But they have now since stated that this was a requirement for the position, even though management stated that there is some "wiggle" room in enforcing this requirement. I did go through some hoops and get my DOT Medical Card in hopes to settle the issue, but this did not.

I have done some policy searching for this company and found that they restrict any one who has asthma from obtaining a CDL. I have asthma (have been under medication for the past 12 years or so) and during my January office visit w/ my Dr. I received a note stating that he did not want me to obtain a CDL which I forwarded to our Health and Safety Mgr.

They are threatening me w/ holding my end of year bonus and or possible firing for this situation.

Do I have any recourse?

Thanks,

What does athma have to do with a CDL? Are you saying this is a law or a company policy? Why does your doctor not want you to get a CDL?

No CDL

To answer "seniorjudge": If I'm driving a straight truck w/ hazardous material and I have an acute attack that incapacitates me, the potential for an accident is great. That is why my Dr. does not want me to obtain a CDL.

As for Beth3's comment: Even my direct supervisors have admitted that I will never use this function and will not be part of my job function.

Beth3

No CDL, if they are insisting you get a CDL, your only option is to go down the ADA path if your situation qualifies. Since they've said you won't get use it, then I can't see your employer making any kind of case that this is an essential function of your job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">