• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can they make me do this???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

my employer is making it mandatory I sign a paper stating the following: by becoming an employee of ___ I agree not to solicit or become emplyed by any customers of ___ without prior written approval and consent. Doesnt this give her blanket control over my future job opportunities ? this co deals with many many diff cities we aren't talking about competitors here which i would agree to, but all customers! There is also no time limit Can she fire me for refusal? also, she is stating I must accept and increase in time from the 30hrs i was hired for ( and have worked for 4 years) to 40 hrs and undertake a huge increase in resp and switch to salary If i simply want to keep my job as is can she fire me and if so can i file for unemployment? I live in the state of Ohio.

M

mary hartman

Most companies make their employees sign a non compete agreement ...usually for a year...not forever...

But if you are fired, as opposed to quitting, most usually will not stand up in court. Quitting a job usually means you want to start your own business or you get hired by the competition...

Do you have anything, where you signed for only 30 hours a week? Also do you get health insurance working 30 hours a week? Does you company pay for benifits if you work 40 hors and NOT at 30 hours?

If they forced you to work 40 hrs, and everyone else has benefits and you dont get them then you can sue.

Will the 40 hours affect your lifestyle? Are you going to school full time and would have to quit if you worked 40 hours? Child care? or transportation problems...

If there are no problems from working the 40 hours then unemployment might question you about refusing...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">