• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they make me relocate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TDP1606

What is the name of your state? Michigan. After a year with my current employer, there is rumor that they may try to make me relocate to another state. Can they make me move to keep my job? If I refuse to move does that mean they can consider that quiting?

pattytx

Your employer can't "make" you do anything. If your continued employment would be contigent upon your moving, then so be it. If you refuse the transfer, that would more than likely be considered a "quit". And although resigning normally means you are not eligible for unemployment benefits, that would be up to the administrative judge and your state laws.

Beth3

Ditto to what Patty said. Why don't you ask your supervisor what's up before you get all worked up about a rumor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">