• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can they really get away with this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debkay

Fired: Yes
Date fired: 12/16/2000
About to be fired: Yes
Reason for being fired: Yes. Poor performance
Different reason for being fired: Direct supervisor does not like women managers. Direct supervisor upset & retaliating for me reporting his harassement, hostile work environment & sexual harrassement. Direct supervisor upset because I went above his head for right to work part time when I received cancer diagnosis.
Quit: No
Harassed: Yes
Harassed last time: Friday 12/15/2000
What harassment: Spoken to harshly in front of subordinates during morning meeting, told my staff was no good,
Why harassed: age, sex, race & rate of pay
Reported harassment to: District Manager, & Regional HR Manager
Reported position: same as above
Reported to still employed: Yes
Who witnessed: several employees & other management members
What witnessed: The tone & body lanaguage of immediate supervisor in way he dealt with me as opposed to other male management
Witness still employed: Yes
Report to government: No
Written complaint: No
Written notify can file lawsuit: No
Presently employed: No
Quit fired employed earnings: 35,700 per year
The other facts: 2 previous managers have left this store due to General Manager. One was a white female who took a position elsewhere. The other is a white male who requested a transfer out of store. Both were replaced with lower paid hispanic males. The white male manager has stated that his belief is General Manager treats me differently because of his culture(Mexican) does not value women in positions of authority. I did report harrassement & hostile workplace on 2 seperate occasions. Was not taken seriously. Had to have surgery in June of last year. Surgery results positive for thyroid maligancy. Needed atdditional part time leave. Was told by GM no, needed to be off totally & they could not guarantee position on return. I went above his head & was told next time I should plan better---I didn't know I was supposed to plan for cancer! Regional HR allowed me to work reduced hours but reduced my pay. Is this legal under FLSA? Certain tasks were not completed during the time I was off on leave,for this I was given a written warning. Is this legal? Before the surgery I was having trouble using a headset(couldn't hear well), brought in doctor's note stating not to use headset & was told this could result in loss of job because it was required. I had not received job description or policy stating such before the time of hire. Is this legal? The GM has also made several sexual comments towards me & to the staff including: Are you getting lei'd tonite(reference to a hawiaan luau I was to attend), Was my ass hard, tacky or soft? If it was soft then I best watch out cause I was the one he'd be chewing on(in reference to his dental work), I make a lot for a woman(in reference to my salary), You hens just need to get along in the henhouse(in reference to my requested disciplinary action on a younger hispanic female). Unfortunately, there are more examples. I reported the above & other siturations to the District Manager (GM's direct supervisor) and the regional HR Director in Septemeber. They told me they had to hear both sides of story & would get back to me after investigation....still waiting. On 9/25/00; I was put on 60 day probation for "poor performance". I beleive this to be retaliatory because I spoke up. On 12/16/2000 I was terminated due to "poor performance". I strongly believe the GM disliked me personally & professionally. Several employees also voiced opinions throughout this situation that I was receiveing "different" attitudes etc. from GM. Please note that in my past jobs, I was awarded several honors for performance. In this job, I was also given a 2% wage increase for a meets expectations 6 month review (april 2000).

D

debkay

fired for poor performance...BUT?

I know the previous article was a bit lengthy, sorry.
I was fired for performance issues on 12/18. This was after being put a probationary status for 60 days. I did improve, this from my supervisor, but not "remarkable improvement".
I have been harrassed due to illness(thyroid cancer), and the rate of my pay.
What is my recourse?
thank you debkay

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">