• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we ask for expenses?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erinh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My husband was offered a job through an insurance company to do sales for them. He was formally offered the job (though no formal contract was signed). However he did not have his insurance lisecne at the time. His boss told him that, that was not a problom, and that if he took the course then the company would reimburse him for the amount paid for the class ($300). My husband is about 2/3rd's of the way through the coursework and his boss called and told him that they no longer have a position for him. Evidently one of their previous employees called and asked for their job back, which they gave him, so there is no longer a position at the company for my husband. My husband has already paid the money to take the course-work specific to this job, and he has already cut back on his hours at his current job (costing us money obviously) to be able to study for this liscence.

We are considering taking my husband "boss" to small claims court to ask for the amount of money spent on the coursework. Do we have a chance of winning? If not are there other options? Or are we just out of luck**************.

Thank you for your time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can ask, but given that your husband will still be able to use the knowledge in his current or other job, I'm not sure that your chances of winning are terribly good, especially without a contract. The other employer didn't tell him to cut back his hours; that was your husband's decision.

You might win the $300; you might not. It's by no means a sure thing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You can ask, but given that your husband will still be able to use the knowledge in his current or other job, I'm not sure that your chances of winning are terribly good, especially without a contract. The other employer didn't tell him to cut back his hours; that was your husband's decision.

You might win the $300; you might not. It's by no means a sure thing.
Actually OP won't win anything. OP has no standing to sue for anything. Hubby most likely would not win because, as you said, he made the decision to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">