• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we get written up for facebook pics?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ambull

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Guam (US Territory)

The other night we had our company xmas party. Everyone took pictures throughout the party. The next day at work we are informed by management that we are not allowed to post any of the pictures on facebook or myspace. Would it be legal for them to write me up if i have the pictures posted on my personal facebook account? The company name is not mentioned or shown anywhere on the album nor in the pictures.

eerelations

It would be legal for the company to fire you for doing this.

Just curious - since it's been made quite obvious to you that the company is against employees posting xmas party pics on the internet, why would you want to do this anyway?

ambull

Well this is the first time they ever announced anything like this. They never said anything about people doing this for our previous parties. The reason I ask if it's legal is because our HR manager has been known to power trip. So the employees are wondering if he's just making this stuff up or if it's actually legal since no one was on the clock and the pictures were taken with their own personal camera. Company logos arent even in the pics too.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well this is the first time they ever announced anything like this. They never said anything about people doing this for our previous parties. The reason I ask if it's legal is because our HR manager has been known to power trip. So the employees are wondering if he's just making this stuff up or if it's actually legal since no one was on the clock and the pictures were taken with their own personal camera. Company logos arent even in the pics too.
It is PERFECTLY LEGAL for you to post the pics (assuming the folks in the pics approve).

It is ALSO PERFECTLY LEGAL for your employer to discipline you in any way they see fit, up to and including termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">