• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we say why we fired employees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Maryley

What is the name of your state? CA

When we fire two of our employees for stealing, can we tell customers why we had to let them go? Would we be in danger of being accused of slander? The customers are used to these two employees and might feel sympathetic to them. But I am sure if they knew the reason they would understand our postion better.

HomeGuru

Maryley said:
What is the name of your state? CA

When we fire two of our employees for stealing, can we tell customers why we had to let them go? Would we be in danger of being accused of slander? The customers are used to these two employees and might feel sympathetic to them. But I am sure if they knew the reason they would understand our postion better.
**A: you are not obligated and may follow the "don't ask don't tell policy".
Or you may tell the truth. You will not be in danger if the tuth is told.

JETX

"When we fire two of our employees for stealing, can we tell customers why we had to let them go?"
*** Why tell your customers anything?? There is simply no positive, and consider negative in doing so.

However, why put yourself in the position of possibly having to defend your actions (legally or otherwise). If asked, simply tell customers that they are no longer working there. If pressed for more, decline with a polite and tactful, "None of your damn business!!"

"Would we be in danger of being accused of slander?"
*** Yes. The former employees would very likely be pretty pissed off and threaten you with some legal action. However, if your comments are the truth, the claims of slander wouldn't stand. Truth is not slander.

"The customers are used to these two employees and might feel sympathetic to them."
*** Again, another reason to not say anything about their absence.

"But I am sure if they knew the reason they would understand our postion better."
*** Who cares what your 'reason' is. This is simply personal business between the former employees and their employer.

From the tone of your post, it sounds like you are NOT the employer, but simply another employee trying to figure out how to 'tattle' on why they are gone. So, which one ARE you??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
From the tone of your post, it sounds like you are NOT the employer, but simply another employee trying to figure out how to 'tattle' on why they are gone. So, which one ARE you??

======================================

My response:

In this writer's other thread, I too had questioned the veracity of this writer; i.e., whether or not she is an employee or the business owner - - based upon a statement similarly found in this current thread.

However, our writer "swears" that she's the employer. I still have my doubts, and am leaning toward her NOT being the employer. Simply, the employer would not be asking such obvious questions.

IAAL

Maryley

Geeze people! You are a suspicious lot. I AM THE EMPLOYER/OWNER OF A COFFEE HOUSE IN SIMI VALLEY CA. I would prefer not to be any more open about it than that! OK? I have two theiving employees who we are going to fire, I am a soft hearted wimp and I have never had to do this before and I am struggling enough with having to do this. I just need some answers to this question because it is hard enough for me to do this and I want to be sure I won't end up in a huge legal mess because of it! You guys are not understanding the customer relations, customer service, customer perception end of this problem. The customers know these two guys and like them, we have only owned the business 11 months and we have had to tread a careful line of not too much change at one time or the little customers get their little panties in a bunch and don't like us, which translates into lost sales! I am just a struggling independent coffee house owner fighting against competition in the marketplace, and employees who are stealing from me. I just need some legal advice from your brilliant legal minds if you would please stop suspecting me of actually being the thieves. You know Liable, the least you could have done was write me one of your songs AS you call me a lying thief....:cool:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Maryley, there's nothing more that we can do for you. Now, it's up to you to "get over" your psychological "angst" over this situation. The ball is in your court. People get hired and fired everyday.

Do whatever you think is right. We cannot balance your customer relations problems against your employee problem.

Good luck. Are your on Los Angeles, Tapo or Cochran streets? I'm right "down the road" from you.

IAAL

Last edited:

Maryley

Does....does that mean... no song??:(

I know you can't decide for me how to handle this, I don't think I asked that, the question pertained to could we be in trouble if we choose to tell the truth about why we let them go. I think between all of you, you've answered my question.

Oh, how I wish I owned either one of the ones on Cochran that are doing well. Tapo wouldn't want to be there and Los Angeles ave is going down hill. We are in a much nicer area of Simi but still just down the road from you.

Thanks for the advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

No song. Just a good "Top 10 List"

Top Ten Signs You've Had Way Too Much Coffee - -

NUMBER 10: When you call radio talkshows, they ask you to turn yourself down.

NUMBER 9: You're passing everybody on the freeway when suddenly you realize - - you're not in a car!

NUMBER 8: You actually believe that some of your male customers look at your chest and say, "I'd like a D-Cup of coffee, please" when you're only a B-Cup.

NUMBER 7: You can't stop saying "No!"

NUMBER 6: The last time you got a good night's sleep, Madonna was a virgin.

NUMBER 5: You're shaking like a Mexican space shuttle.

NUMBER 4: You jam a fork into the waiter's hand when he tries to switch your regular coffee with Folger's crystals.

NUMBER 3: You go nuts over a little thing like a car alarm.

NUMBER 2: You start posting signs like this one in your store - - "Try our triple cappuccino - - It's a legal alternative to crack."

AND NOW, the NUMBER ONE Sign You've Had Way Too Much Coffee - -

You're up to four heart attacks a day.

IAAL

JETX

"I just need some answers to this question"
*** And your question(s) have already accurately been answered.
Fire the little thieves and tell anyone that asks, "Sorry, but Bob and Jack have decided to pursue other opportunities".
Pretty simple, HUH???

Or you can simply give any of the following:
- "Sorry, but Bob and Jack got jobs at Neverland Ranch"
Or
- "Sorry, but Bob and Jack went to work as paralegals for IAAL' firm"
Or
- "Sorry, but Bob and Jack 'sold out' and became baristas at Starbucks"
Or
- "Sorry, but Bob and Jack decided that the working hours conflicted with their 'gay marimba band' practices".
Or
- "Sorry, but Bob and Jack got jobs as poolboys for Pamela Lee Anderson"
Or
- "Sorry, but Bob and Jack got jobs as nipple shield testers for Janet Jackson".

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Maryley, you've gotten correct information above. You CAN tell customers why they are no longer with you, and as long as you tell the truth there is no slander. But it would really, really, really be better if all you said was, "They don't work here anymore".

Beth3

Agreed. There's no sense courting problems, although it would be perfectly legal to say you fired them for stealing. In truth though, it's not your customers' business. If asked, just say they no longer work there.

If you're contacted for references down the road by another employer, I urge you to be truthful though. You certainly may say they were fired for stealing. You'll be saving some other employer some big headaches. And before you hire replacements for the two thieves, DO REFERENCES yourself!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">