• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AdviseMe!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My boyfriend recently got a job at a warehouse for picking and packing. When he was hired in they told him that they would work with college, and work around his college schedule and so on.

Fast forward to recently -- He had already turned in his school schedule, at least a month prior, and they didn't say anything about it. He asked his manager about it, who blew him off and told him to come back later. This happened several times.

He eventually got to talk to Manager, who refused his days off. Flat out refused. They eventually agreed that they would have to come to some sort of compromise. He was working a third shift, that ended at 9:30am. School started at 10am. There was not enough commute time at all, so his compromise was to get off a bit earlier so he would have some time to eat something and make it to school.

This was also refused, and he was told to come talk to manager later. And again, when he went to talk to the manager, he blew him off, again.

A female coworker went up to manager and talked to him about days off for school. She was granted her days off with no fuss. My boyfriend went to go talk to manager, unhappy that his female coworker was granted days off without hesitation. Manager ended up getting PO'd, started yelling, and it wasn't pretty from there.

He told my boyfriend to go home and come back Monday to meet with HR, and had him followed out of work. Monday rolls around and he goes in to work, and isn't even in the meeting with HR for 10 minutes. They tell him they are sorry but it isn't working out.

Does my boyfriend have any grounds he could possibly sue on? A lot of this just seems really, really wrong to me. He did not get in writing that they would work with his school schedule, though, but it seems like gender discrimination to me, but I'm not a lawyer or anything, so what do I know?

Thanks in advance.

iamegggirl

How would you be able to prove it was discrimination? The burden of proof lies with your boyfriend. It sounds like his job didn't really want to work around his schedule and fired him, which they can do. I don't see were is it discriminatory though....

AdviseMe!

They were more than happy to give the girl that requested days off the days off she wanted, and not him. She might back that, but I'm not positive.

But that still doesn't change the fact that upon hire they told him they'd work with school. They were completely unwilling. The company in question was founded by college students, and they promote furthering your education.

CourtClerk

They were more than happy to give the girl that requested days off the days off she wanted, and not him. She might back that, but I'm not positive.
Maybe they like her. However, I bet if she wants to keep her job, she'll stay out of it. It's none of her business, anyway.
But that still doesn't change the fact that upon hire they told him they'd work with school. They were completely unwilling. The company in question was founded by college students, and they promote furthering your education.
They are under no legal obligation to work around your boyfriend's schedule.

Last edited:

ariastar

You don't know all the circumstances around why they gave her time off and not him. Could be that she requested time off when her being there wasn't as vital, could be that she doesn't need as much time off. You don't know. And anyway, they said it wasn't working out. This could easily mean they weren't satisfied with his work, having nothing to do with school.

pattytx

You don't know all the circumstances around why they gave her time off and not him. Could be that she requested time off when her being there wasn't as vital, could be that she doesn't need as much time off. You don't know. And anyway, they said it wasn't working out. This could easily mean they weren't satisfied with his work, having nothing to do with school.
Or it could be that they gave her the time off because she wore purple socks. Still legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">