• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can/will employers find out about small claims court suits i've filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fstep2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

not sure if that makes a difference but i've settled all of them (never went to court) and i've never been sued myself. just wanna know in which circumstances they would check for this and would they find out about that i filed them period.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

It is public record but that doesn't mean it will show on your background check which only looks for criminal actions and (sometimes) negative items on your credit.

Why does it matter to you know if they know?

fstep2

i have sued a couple times in the past through my business. i can because i want a job but i would also like to sue a couple other people (for legit reasons) and i don't want it to look like i will sue them the moment i get a chance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based on what you've said elsewhere, you WILL sue them eventually whether they "give you a chance" or not, so it's probably a good thing for them to be aware of that.

swalsh411

So you have availed yourself of the legal system in the course of your business. That is not a black mark against you. Stop worrying about it.

tranquility

Of course it's a black mark. If you are am employer, do you want a litigious employee? Really? Everyone has been wronged and many have sued. Very few have used the courts a lot. Even if each one was completely justified, I suggest that multiple lawsuits, even as a plaintiff, shows something.

As an employer, I'd pass.

swalsh411

Of course it's a black mark. If you are am employer, do you want a litigious employee? Really? Everyone has been wronged and many have sued. Very few have used the courts a lot. Even if each one was completely justified, I suggest that multiple lawsuits, even as a plaintiff, shows something.

You have 12k posts on a legal advice forum and are saying that people who use the legal system in the course of their business are suspect? There is no evidence here that any of the OP's lawsuits were frivolous.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not here, no, but there is on the other forum where he's posting this question.

tranquility

There is no evidence here that any of the OP's lawsuits were frivolous.
I completely, um:
Even if each one was completely justified, I suggest that multiple lawsuits, even as a plaintiff, shows something.
agree.

But, most people let things go a bit or negotiate a little more before going to court repeatedly. What's the joke? It only feels kinky the first time. A person who sues a lot is outside the bell curve of people. Now, we can ask him to explain the negotiations before the lawsuit, how much it was for, if he won or not and any of a number of other questions to see if I'm going to have to be looking over my shoulder to make sure I don't get sued by the guy for not dotting the i's in my messages to him, or I can just move on.

As an employer, I know my call. YMMV.

davew128

Sorry, I expected a better response from you. What if OP owed a rental property(ies)? Wouldn't you expect that at some point some UD suits would be filed against deadbeat tenants? It's not that uncommon for a business owner (including by the way CPA firms) to similarly file suit against deadbeat customers.

tranquility

I agree with you. There are many reasons why it SHOULD NOT be a black mark against the person without finding out more. But, I have a pile of applications and have to narrow them down. If the person is not a standout in other areas, why should I track down why he's doing what he's doing? There will be five other guys with the exact same background without the lawsuits. Heck, I'll put aside a resume that has a spelling error or uses a font I don't like. Fair? Probably not. Legal though.

(Small claims would not be an UD action. Small claims is problematical because it's two people arguing about relatively small amounts. You need to delve into the facts of the cases to know if the OP is litigious or just got the short end of the stick.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">