• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you be banned from a former place of employement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wondrgirl2882

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Ohio

Ok me and my boyfriend have worked a a local sports and bar he has worked there for about one year and eight months and I only worked there a short time about a year ago. Anyway this past week he was fired from his job for calling in sick, I guess they were mad because they were busy and it was during a sunday in football season. Anyway that is besides the point I know that they can fire anyone at will in Ohio. However now the manager has told me and my boyfriend and all of our friends that we are not allowed in the building. Can they do this? Is it legal to be banned from somewhere just because you used to work there. I was not fired from the job I quit and none of my other friends used to work there. And he didn't make a scene or be disgruntal in anyway. He calmly went in and turned in his shirts and collected his paycheck and left. Is there something that we can do. Its the principal of the matter that if I want to be able to eat there my money is as good as anyone else.

Beth3

However now the manager has told me and my boyfriend and all of our friends that we are not allowed in the building. Can they do this? Yup.

Is it legal to be banned from somewhere just because you used to work there. Yup.

If the restaurant owner or manager wishes to refuse service to you, your boyfriend, and your friends, he is completely free to do so.

Wondrgirl2882

How can that be

I don't understand so if I open a Bar and I want to Refuse service to African American's then I can't but I can't be denied service in a Bar because my boyfriend was fired from there. That doesn't seem right to me. Why do people with handicaps or of another race get special treatment but people as a whole can be discriminted against just because someone wants to. :mad:

panzertanker

Wondrgirl2882 said:
I don't understand so if I open a Bar and I want to Refuse service to African American's then I can't but I can't be denied service in a Bar because my boyfriend was fired from there. That doesn't seem right to me. Why do people with handicaps or of another race get special treatment but people as a whole can be discriminted against just because someone wants to. :mad:
Your logic does not work. The owner is not refusing service to a class or race of people, but specific individuals; you/bf/friends.

Get over it, you have no dog in this fight.

Beth3

I don't understand so if I open a Bar and I want to Refuse service to African American's then I can't Correct. It is unlawful to refuse service because of race.

but I can't be denied service in a Bar because my boyfriend was fired from there. No, you can be denied service because your BF was fired from there.

Why do people with handicaps or of another race get special treatment but people as a whole can be discriminted against just because someone wants to Because the law defines what constitutes prohibited discrimination. If the owner doesn't want you and your BF around because he doesn't like you or he thinks you have or you will cause trouble or for any other lawful reason, he can.

BTW, if you talk to anyone of another race or who has a handicap, I seriously doubt anyone will tell you they receive special treatment. The law entitles them to equal treament. If the same bar owner wants to bar a former African American employee from his establishment, he is free to do so as long as the reason is not because of the ex-employee's race.

Wondrgirl2882

:mad: I am sure that I am wrong in this case and that you are all right ....I can still be mad about it. Because to me it doesn't seem like it should be legal why would I ever want to work anywhere that I enjoyed going then? Because if things end badly then the owners can just tell me that I can never return to this place. I am just outraged that first of all my boyfriend would be fired after almost two years of loyal service for calling off sick with a Doctors note and that second now they would try and ban everyone who ever knew him from dining there. I know there may not be a law that protects people but there should be. Because I still have friends that work there does that mean that they should be fired because they are our friends? if our friends that don't work there are not allowed to even enter the establishment. And furthermore I quit this place with a two week notice ...what if I break up with my boyfriend am I still banned. How can you hold someone else responsible for anothers action and then discrimnate against them because of who they know and associate with. As far as I am concerned a place that would treat people in this manner does not deserve my bussiness and I won't spend another dime there. I will go elsewhere and I am sure that won't matter to them but it matters to me. People are people and should be treated with Respect no matter who they are. Thank you all for your comments.

Some Random Guy

As you are now aware, it is the manager's right to ban you. He may want to ban you because it disrupts morale to have former employees there or he may just think you are bad for business.

If you really want to return, politely and respectfully talk to the manager and ask him to reconsider his decision.

TCASWFL

A business owner is free to choose who he/ she wants to do business with and have as a customer as long as it is within the law. Remember this establishment is private property and the ownwer or manager can decide who they allow in.

Many of the companies that I have worked for in the past did not want to have former employees as clients or want them hanging around the business. Many years ago I managed several car rental offices and we had a strict policy that if an employee was fired they were not allowed to rent a car from us. I currently run my own business and the last thing I want is an employee who I fired coming in and hanging around my office.

Wondrgirl2882

Ok that point would make sense if they just didn't want my boyfriend in their ...but to ban me when I was not fired I quit and gave the full two weeks notice and then to tell my friends who have never worked there that they can not come into the Bar ....I don't think that you should be able to pick and choose....that is all I am saying because I can say I don't like you you can't come in here. But if I don't like African Americans then they have to be allowed in. Or I dont like Asian Americans but I have to let them in. I mean to me if you own a bussiness it wouldn't make sense to me to turn good bussiness away. We don't want to make a scene we just want to go to the bar that we have been going to for years that all our friends still work at. And I think that if I am friends with you and you get fired from your job that should have no bearing on my life. That is my point

Some Random Guy

that's your point and as we have been telling you, you should explain your point to the manager to see if he would be so generous as to change his mind.

This is a private matter, not a legal issue.

Sockeye

Wondrgirl2882 said:
I mean to me if you own a bussiness it wouldn't make sense to me to turn good bussiness away.
That statement is the best point you make, however running a business badly is not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">