• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you face your accuser at work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concerned 414

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am being accused of alot of wrongful accusations at work. My manager states that I have no right to talk with my accusers because she says so.
I feel like I am harrassed But can not do anything because I have no names to file harrassment reports. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pattytx

Let's put it this way. The company does not have to tell you who is accusing you and of what. And in most situations, it would be wise not to. The employer is not a court of law and the rules of evidence do not apply.

commentator

If there is nothing to these accusations, then they will die quickly. There will be no use "confronting" the person who may have made them. It is not being a responsible supervisor to say, "So and so told me that you had been...." What the supervisor will do is make you aware that it has been brought to their attention that you.....did whatever.

Certainly they have no desire to be starting a workplace fuss when you go confront someone and call them a liar and tell them never to say such things about you again! If the allegations are not true, you have nothing in the world to worry about. And you can't sue somebody for "starting a rumor" about your workplace conduct and telling your supervisor. It starts with tattletales on the playground. The best way to avoid it is to do what is right and follow the rules.

Country Living

Keep your frustration and anger out of the work place. Don’t go to your co-workers and talk about this in an attempt to find the person who made the accusations. Come in every day and do your job to the best of your ability.

If you choose to ignore this advice, you may find yourself out of a job. No manager wants an employee disrupting the workplace and damaging moral which adversely impacts production.

iamme2283

Well, without proof or evidence about the accusations the management could easily be fabricating the accusations in an easy way to fire those that they dont like or that have been working in a position and making "too much money".

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Well, without proof or evidence about the accusations the management could easily be fabricating the accusations in an easy way to fire those that they dont like or that have been working in a position and making "too much money".
The management has no reason to fabricate accusations. They don't need a good reason to fire you--or any reason at all. As long as you're not being fired for a reason specifically prohibited by law, they can fire you simply because they don't want you to work there any more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This thread is 14 months old folks...

eta: Oops - it's early and my math is off. This thread is 16 months old!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ask for a copy of your personnel file, maybe some clue will be there.
Just for the record, not all states guarantee access to the personnel file. In the OP's state, it's entirely up to the employer whether to allow the employee to even see, let alone have a copy of, their personnel file. And that was true 16 months ago when this thread was started, too.

eerelations

Some people use old threads for research purposes. Often they find the answers to their questions in old posts and so they don't have to bother us with the same old questions all over again.

eerelations

Actually, here's an idea - maybe the administrators could figure out a way to automatically lock any thread when there haven't been any posts for some pre-determined amount of time (a month, two months, whatever they choose). That way people could still read the old threads but wouldn't be able to revive them.

Hot Topic

Considering how fast things can change, it may not always be helpful to have a thread up for months for people to refer to if the response is different from what was originally posted and accepted to be true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">