• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you file for past weeks of UE?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?NY

I was just awarded UE, after going to court with my ex-employeer, and they found in favor of me. I just recieved a 8 check "catch-up" problem was (and I have never filed before) I did this online, and then I got the letter stating they (exemployeer) didn't agree and wanted a trial, so I stopped claiming the benefits until the trial, my question is since I still wasn't working then, can I go back and file for past weeks that I didn't do? Trying to get through on the phone w/ them is a battle that I've never won. :( Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer to your question is too situation-specific to answer. I'm sorry, but you will have to keep fighting the phone.

Beth3

I was just awarded UE, after going to court with my ex-employeer, and they found in favor of me. I just recieved a 8 check "catch-up" problem was (and I have never filed before) I did this online, and then I got the letter stating they (exemployeer) didn't agree and wanted a trial, so I stopped claiming the benefits until the trial, my question is since I still wasn't working then, can I go back and file for past weeks that I didn't do?

So you voluntarily stopped making a claim for your weekly UC benefits after they were awarded, simply because you were notified the employer was contesting eligibility and was requesting a hearing? The State UC Division certainly didn't tell you to stop making your weekly claim. My hunch is you are SOL but you should continue to try to call them to discuss the situation.

DerbyGirl

I live in NY & have collected UE (with employer contesting it).
You are still supposed to claim for weeks while it is being investigated.
I don't know how many weeks you didn't claim (you said you got 8 weeks worth of checks...if I read correctly..)
I claimed while mine was being investigated (I won) and they released the checks all at once - 5 weeks worth.

NYS UE https://ui.labor.state.ny.us/UBC/index.jsp
states:
Claim Weekly Benefits
If you have already filed a claim and want to certify for benefits for the week of 7/11/2005 - 7/17/2005, please enter your Social Security number below and click on 'Login'. You may claim weekly benefits online between the hours of 7:30 am to midnight Sunday through Saturday. To claim benefits for a previous week, you must call the Telephone Claims Center at 1-888-209-8124 (1-877-358-5306 for out of state residents).

I would try for middle of the week calling them, forget Mondays. I know I had to go the the Labor Dept for an orientation (while investigation was ongoing still) and they told us the best days/times to call - but I honestly don't remember what they were ...sorry.

I don't know if you can claim for one back week or more than one - that would be a question you'd have to ask when you call.

About the only semi-good news I can give is - you can claim up to 26 weeks of UE within a year so even if you don't get it now - it is available in the future - I know that's not much help now when you could probably use the money though.

Good Luck.

I am not an attorney.

Regards,
DG

Thanks, they did pay me 8 wks worth, but I didn't claim for 5 wks in the middle there. I did finially get ahold of someone there today :) thankfully!! They said just write a letter w/ the dates and they would enter it and release the checks.

thanks guys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">