• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you be fired for any reason??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tara_p_2003

What is the name of your state? Missouri

i was fired because got a little offensive when my manager accused me of giving something to my brother(which i didnt do). can i be fired for that, do they have to give you some kind of notice. i always thought that you had to be written up 3 times before you got fired. also the place where i work is employing a few illegal workers, who do i contact about that???

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can be fired for any reason that is not specifically forbidden by law. You CAN be fired for the reason you describe. Nothing whatsoever in the law requires three write-ups before you can be fired; that may or may not be company policy, but it is not law.

M

MartinD

Under Contract or At-will?

This doesn't address Tara's problem but raises one of my own. I am a British Citizen working for the US sunsidiary of a UK Company on 2 year contracts. I am about to renew my contract for another two years but my company want to put in the words 'At-will employment'. My current contract requires 6 months notice either way and the new one still states the same 6 month notice period. Isn't having a defined contract for 2 years with 6 months notice a total contradiction from At-will employment?
If my contract states At-will employment but with 6 months notice which statement takes precedence if it came to a court battle?

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, but no one here can answer that. You'd need to show the entire contract to an attorney; we can't respond to the terms of a contract we have not read. The answer depends on the exact wording of the contract.

JETX

Your one post violates TWO rules of the forum.
1) Your post also has nothing to do with US laws.
2) Also, posting your issues in the middle of someone elses thread is considered rude and causes confusion (in your assuming a post is meant for you when in fact it is directed to the circumstances of the original poster).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">