• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you be fired while on STD w/o FMLA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donna.Lowe

My husband has been on STD for 5 weeks and is preparing for surgery. His company called and asked him to resign because they consider him AWOL. He refuses but I believe he can still be fired for not working even while on STD. Is this true? Also, if he is fired, will his medical insurance stop which will mean he no longer can have the surgery because he has no medical insurance?

Beth3

Short Term Disability is ONLY an income replacement benefit - it has nothing to do with whether the employer is obligated to grant leave time.

Why does your husband's employer think he is AWOL?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I thought I explained that already.

Yes. If FMLA is not involved, you can be fired while on STD.

I KNOW I already explained to you about the health insurance. I'm not going to do it again. Read the post I left for you after you locked your first question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">