• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you get fired without being told?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fresh188

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was working at Wendy's fast food restaurant and there was a misunderstanding and I got written up, and they did not call or inform me that I was fired, I just thought I was in trouble and would straighten it out when I was called in. The misunderstanding was not my fault, as I was upset for getting the blame, so I decided to give my letter of resignation to my boss who called me a loser and said I was terminated days ago. I had no notice or anything. I am in a work study program and she told my job coordinator, but that's on a school level, you cannot fire someone without telling them? And I resigned before anyone told me they were going to fire me. I gave a formal resignation letter and everything and he said throw it in the garbage and he did. They were planning on firing me apparently, but I resigned first. In order to fire someone you have to fire them and make them aware. Did I get fired or did I resign? For futuristic jobs what should I put? What is the legal perspective of this situation?

swalsh411

For future jobs you can say you voltunarily left. I highly doubt they would call a Wendy's to get a reference.

commentator

Agree. As I said earlier this weekend, most fast food franchises, such as a Wendy's have very strict regulations about what they do in terms of references and confirming employment. Most will only confirm dates you worked there.

It is almost never better to "submit a letter of resignation" than to let them go on and terminate you in any job, certainly not important in this type circumstance. You will have other jobs later. At a restaurant/fast foot place like this with extremely high turnovers, then they take you off the clock, don't give you any hours on the schedule, you have been terminated from it. Legally, you don't have to have a big royal formal firing process and be told the whys and wherefores.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">