+ Reply to Thread
    fresh188 is offline Junior Member

Post Can you get fired without being told?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was working at Wendy's fast food restaurant and there was a misunderstanding and I got written up, and they did not call or inform me that I was fired, I just thought I was in trouble and would straighten it out when I was called in. The misunderstanding was not my fault, as I was upset for getting the blame, so I decided to give my letter of resignation to my boss who called me a loser and said I was terminated days ago. I had no notice or anything. I am in a work study program and she told my job coordinator, but that's on a school level, you cannot fire someone without telling them? And I resigned before anyone told me they were going to fire me. I gave a formal resignation letter and everything and he said throw it in the garbage and he did. They were planning on firing me apparently, but I resigned first. In order to fire someone you have to fire them and make them aware. Did I get fired or did I resign? For futuristic jobs what should I put? What is the legal perspective of this situation?
    pattytx is offline Senior Member
    As it happens, there IS no law that states an employee must be told of their termination.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You have not won the law suit lottery; in fact, you haven't even won the law suit scratch-off.
    swalsh411 is offline Senior Member
    For future jobs you can say you voltunarily left. I highly doubt they would call a Wendy's to get a reference.
    commentator is offline Senior Member
    Agree. As I said earlier this weekend, most fast food franchises, such as a Wendy's have very strict regulations about what they do in terms of references and confirming employment. Most will only confirm dates you worked there.

It is almost never better to "submit a letter of resignation" than to let them go on and terminate you in any job, certainly not important in this type circumstance. You will have other jobs later. At a restaurant/fast foot place like this with extremely high turnovers, then they take you off the clock, don't give you any hours on the schedule, you have been terminated from it. Legally, you don't have to have a big royal formal firing process and be told the whys and wherefores.