• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can you still file a lawsuit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

polkey

What is the name of your state? california

I filed a sexual harrassment complaint and I was laid off shortly afterwards. My right-to-sue letters from EEOC and DFEh have both expired. I could not find a lawyer who wanted to take the case.

Could I still file a lawsuit and under what laws?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If your right to sue letters have expired, so has your window of opportunity to file a lawsuit. Your opportunity to do so is permanently closed.

mitousmom

The federal filing period is subject to waiver, equitable tolling and estoppel, which mean that under certain circumstances the federal court will allow you to proceed with a lawsuit even if the filing period has expired.

However, not being able to find a lawyer is not one of the circumstances that the court will consider. First, there is no requirement that you have an attorney to file suit - although it is highly recommended. Second, you can ask the court to appoint a lawyer, an option available in limited circumstances as defined by the court.

The inability to find a lawyer who will take your case, even on retainer, suggests that your matter is not worth litigating. Given that and the fact that filing period has expired, I think you should move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">