• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can your employer *make* you follow them on Social Media(ie. Twitter)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skyymiles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Basically exactly what the title reads. Seems like there's a corporate push to get employees to both join and follow certain individuals on Twitter and I'm not sure this is the right section or it belongs in Internet Law. Basically it has gotten to the point where employees have received company email from direct managers stating we must join Twitter and follow 'X' individuals in the corporate hierarchy. I personally do not use Twitter and have no real intentions to, but just wondering what this falls under. Is it just pretty much suck it up and do what they say you're in a 'no fault' or I forget the term, state so either the employee or employer can use this as a reason to break off employment if we don't do it in the very extreme circumstance? I guess I just don't want to be responsible for keeping up with, forgive my language but **** I don't care about. Thanks :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If your employer wants to make it a condition of your employment that you follow them on certain social media, as yet no law exists that would prohibit them from doing so, or from firing those employees who refuse.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thanks! :)

One thing to keep in mind that the laws are lagging far behind technology at this point. I'm sure that at some point issues like these will be addressed (though I'm not even going to try to guess which way they will go) but as of right now, the law simply does not take a position on the matter. Since employment law runs for the most part as, If there isn't a law that prohibits it, it's legal, right now an employer can insist on your participation. That may change at some point in future. But not right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">