• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Canadian Employer Not Paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notpaid

Hello, I live in FL. I was hired on an hourly contractual basis to grow and manage US business for a Canadian company. This Canadian company has an expired corporation in FL from 2005. I stopped working for the company because i was given multiple excuses as to why I never received my paycheck. To date, for work from late last year, I only received a third of what is owed to me and the only way it was sent was via money gram. How can I get my money, do I have a case, is there anything I can do to get paid? Thanks in advance.

eerelations

But can I sue him in Canadian court from the US?:confused:
Of course not. Canada doesn't have any courts situated geographically in the US (I seriously doubt this would be allowed anywhere in the US!), and US courts don't have jurisdiction over Canadians in Canada.

You have to go to where these Canadians are located in Canada and sue there. You don't need a Canadian lawyer (we don't use the word "attorney" much, if at all, in Canada) if you're going to sue in small claims court.

Silverplum

Of course not. Canada doesn't have any courts situated geographically in the US (I seriously doubt this would be allowed anywhere in the US!), and US courts don't have jurisdiction over Canadians in Canada.

You have to go to where these Canadians are located in Canada and sue there. You don't need a Canadian lawyer (we don't use the word "attorney" much, if at all, in Canada) if you're going to sue in small claims court.
Do y'all use "solicitor" in Canada, where the Canadians live? :);). Or just "lawyer" as you did here on FA, where the Americans post?

CuriousPlum wants to know!

eerelations

"Solicitor" is a British term not used in Canada except very very occasionally by ancient fuddy-duddies who think that British terms will somehow impress Canadians (most of whom probably think the term "solicitor" has something to do with prostitutes selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door sometime in the distant past).

"Lawyer" is the term we use.

Silverplum

"Solicitor" is a British term not used in Canada except very very occasionally by ancient fuddy-duddies who think that British terms will somehow impress Canadians (most of whom probably think the term "solicitor" has something to do with prostitutes selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door sometime in the distant past).

"Lawyer" is the term we use.
Thank you! :)

(And, LOL! :D)

Proserpina

Oy! I resemble that remark!

<--- says "solicitor" alla time.

Given that I've just been called a 70 year old something or other on another board, I should probably add "old fuddy duddy" to my resume :D

(Must say though, I look mighty fine for a 70 year old ;) )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">