• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't even be sick?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crafty lady

What is the name of your state? California. I called in sick (yes I really was sick) the night before my shift and my employer said I had to find a replacement for me or I had to come in and work even if I was sick. I tried but found no one. I was too sick to work so I didn't go in. Can my employer demand I come in sick? Can I be fired for not coming in even though I called in? This is the first sick day I have ever taken. By the way, I work with children and I am certain their parents would not appreciate me exposing their children to my stomach flu.

Last edited:

Beth3

Can my employer demand I come in sick? Yes. Can I be fired for not coming in even though I called in? Yes. This is the first sick day I have ever taken. Then it's unlikely any disciplinary action will be taken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">