• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't travle due to alcoholic wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryan789

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have a job that requires extensive travel throughout the US and abroad. My wifes an alcoholic and when I travel, she drinks heavily. I spoke to my manager 7 months ago and he gave his word that I would not have to travel unless going to a training class about once a year. After a re-org, I have a new manager that now says I have to travel. There are at least 2 other people in my group that do not travel due to personal reasons. I have 2 children that are young and I need to be here for them. Do I have any legal recourse or am I screwed????
Thanks
ryan789

BelizeBreeze

ryan789 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have a job that requires extensive travel throughout the US and abroad. My wifes an alcoholic and when I travel, she drinks heavily. I spoke to my manager 7 months ago and he gave his word that I would not have to travel unless going to a training class about once a year. After a re-org, I have a new manager that now says I have to travel. There are at least 2 other people in my group that do not travel due to personal reasons. I have 2 children that are young and I need to be here for them. Do I have any legal recourse or am I screwed????
Thanks
ryan789
You're screwed.

pattytx

As far as your employer is concerned, you are screwed. However, is there some arrangements you can make on your own, such as having a trusted friend or relative stay with her while you are out of town?

Good luck.

Veronica1228

I don't mean to insult you by stating the obvious, but why isn't your wife in rehab? Alcoholism is not going to go away by itself, and it can really take a heavy toll on kids. Get her help asap so that her disease will not continue to hold you hostage.

Beth3

I am sorry for your situation; it must be tremendously difficult for you. But your employer does not have to change your job duties because of your personal situation. As you say, your job requires extensive travel and they are already accommodating two of your co-workers desire not to travel. SOMEBODY has to travel and get the job done.

Either you need to transfer to a different position within your current organization if that is possible or you need to find a new job that doesn't require travel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">