• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In car accident, put on fmla, then fired.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsands321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

Hey there folks, i've posted several other questions and have one last one. I was in a car accident on my way to work (so not workers comp), incurred injuries to my neck and back that are long lasting and made me unable to perform the heavy lifting needed to do the job i was hired for. Boss calls me while i'm on FMLA (he has several times checking on my improvement) to let me know that because of my new medical condition that when fmla expires they will be "firing me for my new medical conditions". I was under the impression that it was breaking some sort of rule to tell someone that you are firing them for medical reasons? Am i totally off on this or is there something to it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

Hey there folks, i've posted several other questions and have one last one. I was in a car accident on my way to work (so not workers comp), incurred injuries to my neck and back that are long lasting and made me unable to perform the heavy lifting needed to do the job i was hired for. Boss calls me while i'm on FMLA (he has several times checking on my improvement) to let me know that because of my new medical condition that when fmla expires they will be "firing me for my new medical conditions". I was under the impression that it was breaking some sort of rule to tell someone that you are firing them for medical reasons? Am i totally off on this or is there something to it?
How long did you expect them to retain you after their legal obligation to do so ends?

Seems to me that you should be thankful that you know what's coming so that you can prepare for it. Sure, it would be better if you would have a job to return to...but at least you can prepare.

dsands321

How long did you expect them to retain you after their legal obligation to do so ends?

Seems to me that you should be thankful that you know what's coming so that you can prepare for it. Sure, it would be better if you would have a job to return to...but at least you can prepare.
I can appreciate your opinion on them letting me know, my question though is firing someone over a new disability? I was under the impression that you couldn't fire someone for discrimination of a disability?

commentator

First of all, are you still under a doctor's care? Have you been released to return to work? Since this is not a work related injury, you must be fully released, in other words, released by your doctor to return to full duty to draw unemployment benefits. As soon as this happens, whether or not you are on FMLA, you need to go on and sign up immediately on unemployment benefits. If it is not going to happen for a while yet, more than a few more weeks, go on and sign up for unemployment benefits anyhow. You will not be able to draw the unemployment benefits until you are fully released by your doctor to return to work, and you have presented yourself to your employer, and they have told you that you are being terminated. But you need to actually file very soon to set up your claim. If you wait several months, until you are fully able to work, and that turns out to be a long time, you may not have a claim, as they run based on the last two years, and as the quarter changes, you'll lose quarters of work. Set up the claim soon, then wait for your doctor to release you and begin to draw the benefits. They'll contact the employer, and get the details of your termination, though you of course should inform the employer when you are released. The employer is not the one who decides whether or not you receive unemployment benefits, and you should file quickly any time you are not employed and ready to work.

The employer is legally allowed to fire you as soon as the mandatory time is up on your FMLA, simply because you were not able to return to work. Or because, as this one said, he's concerned you'll have health issues on-going. It is only Worker's Comp, and work related injuries, where there is a "retaliation issue."

Under these circumstances you have, they can fire you, but they cannot keep you from being approved for unemployment once you are fully released and able to begin looking for other work. Being out of work for a medical reason is not considered misconduct, it is not considered something that you were able to keep from happening. You'll be asked to present proof to the unemployment system that you are now able, available and actively seeking work, a form for your doctor to complete, and then you've got a few weeks at something around $275 a week or less to go on while you seek other work.

Actually think of it this way. They're doing you a favor, because your job is going to hurt your recently injured back, and because the employer is a jerk, we've determined this, and besides, everyone of any age over about thirty doesn't need a job with heavy lifting involved anyhow.

THIS IS IMPORTANT! Having your doctor put restrictions on your ability to lift or carry or move is NOT going to be helpful to you at all. It will keep you from getting approved for unemployment. There is no upside, such as compensation for these permanent restrictions as you would get if it were a work related injury. What you need, at least for now, is a full release. Since your injury was not work related, and heaven knows I have seen many of these, you are pretty much on your own as far as what you do next.

You can work on your own, later, as you are drawing unemployment and trying to find another job, to rehab your back, to get yourself up to where you can do lots of work, and so you can, hopefully find a job where heavy lifting is NOT required! But for right now, what you are looking for from your doctor is not something saying you have to take it easy for many months, but that you are fully released and ready to go back to work.

Florida has a vocational rehabilitation services office, where they can provide you with counseling and work with you to help you get into something that does not require you to use your back to do your work. Don't be like the guy who told me "I guess I can never work again, the doctor told me not to lift over fifty pounds!" Which I told him I am fully employed, and plan to be, but I am never going to be able to lift 50 pounds as part of my job.

Zigner

I can appreciate your opinion on them letting me know, my question though is firing someone over a new disability? I was under the impression that you couldn't fire someone for discrimination of a disability?
This is not a disability - it's an injury.

No matter how you ask it and no matter where you ask it, the answer doesn't change.

dsands321

This is not a disability - it's an injury.

No matter how you ask it and no matter where you ask it, the answer doesn't change.

Ok, thanks guys. The opinions vary here so majorly i can't really get a good read. I'll just contact a local lawyer that is informed of the local laws. I appreciate your inputs.

Zigner

Ok, thanks guys. The opinions vary here so majorly i can't really get a good read. I'll just contact a local lawyer that is informed of the local laws. I appreciate your inputs.
There is no varying opinion :rolleyes:

eerelations

Wow, what a childish loser you are! You actually think jerky juvenile behaviour like this is going to make people respect you? Think again sweetheart! Your former employer is absolutely right about you!

(And what's this with the "majorly" anyway? Only kids use this word...are you a kid? Or just pretending to be one?)

quincy

:confused: I am curious why you keep returning to this forum for advice, dsands, if you are convinced that nothing provided by the forum members is accurate. :confused:

Please DO contact a lawyer local to you that is informed on your local laws. Perhaps if you are paying for an "opinion" of the law, you will come away somewhat satisfied.

The plus to that is then you can return to this forum and tell everyone that the attorney you contacted says you have a legitimate complaint that can support a lawsuit and the advice you received here was totally wrong and all the members of this forum suck majorly. ;)

edit to add after reading eerelations post: Oops. I used the word "majorly." It's the kid in me. :)

Last edited:

eerelations

edit to add after reading eerelations post: Oops. I used the word "majorly." It's the kid in me. :)
I took your use of it to mean you were just being deeply sarcastic, in other words, majorly sarcastic. (That's my opinion and I'm stickin' with it.) :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. It is not illegal to tell someone you are being fired for medical reasons.

Although the law does protect discrimination against disabilties, neither FMLA nor the ADA requires that the employer hold your job indefinitely. If your condition qualifies for FMLA, then on week 13, day 1 under FMLA you can quite legally be fired no matter what your condition and no matter what your doctor may recommend.

IF your condition ALSO qualifies under the ADA AND a SHORT extension of your leave would allow you to return to work, then to continue your leave might be ONE possible accommodation under the ADA. However, it is important to keep in mind two very important points; 1) there are no circumstances when even the ADA REQUIRES that your employer continue your leave if there is another, alternate accommodation that will work and 2.) Not every condition that qualifies under FMLA also qualifies under the ADA. (The reverse is also true - not every condition that qualifies under the ADA also qualifies for FMLA.)

These are Federal, not local laws. The answers do not change by location. Please do visit a local lawyer and get his take on it. I really wish you would. However, be aware that if you come back and say that the attorney told you anything that varies from the above, I will call you a liar. And I'll post proof of it.

commentator

There was no divergent opinion. Majorly, as opposed to minorly, we told you that you do not have a case against your employer, yes they can fire you because you cannot return to work or because they want to or because you can no longer do the job. Unemployment benefits are your only recourse when you are terminated this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">