• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cause To Sue In Ohio?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alegna

I was fired today from a small local company. The reason given is that they were overstaffed and I was not needed. I was offered 2 wks severance pay (verbal) and a promise (verbal) that he would not fight any unemployment. He said the quality of my work was great and that he would give me any reference I needed. He waited until I had completed my daily work and when i questioned how it was being done it was made to seem as if he was doing me a favor by even offering severance of any kind because as he put it "most companys wouldn't". I was not the last person hired in the office (female of opposite race hired last) yet I was the one who was released. He stated I was hired on based on misinformation from previous employee who was fired a few weeks ago who hired me, who had told him she needed more help in the office in order to get her work done more efficiently.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I am sorry to hear this but I really do not understand your question. If you are asking if you have any right to sue, I don't think so. He seems to be giving you your severance pay and he is NOT required to give any recommendation letters.

I don't think that just because someone was hired after you and of another race is sufficient cause to sue. I.e. it is not very good evidence of discrimination.

A

alegna

Well I didnt really think the race was an issue anyway..it was more of just wanting to know if it was legal...when you are humiliated and when you leave a stable job with a good company for a job based on promises that werent kept and then let go 2 mths later on the spot simply because he didnt know what was going on his business and decided he would not honor the promises made by someone representing his company simply because he was "mislead" by her....to me something just doesn't seem right about that because maybe right and legal are to different things and thats basically what I wanted to confirm. I am left with getting half my income on unemployment and it doesnt seem fair when I am being let go because "he can't afford to pay me (which is wrong) based on someone elses promises? Amazing...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">