• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell Phone as a requirement of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beth3

Yes. You can also be required to have a laptop computer, a certain style and make of car, and even a pogo stick. If you don't care for the terms of the employment being offered to you, you are free to turn down the job.

blaster

Thanks for the reply. As a clarification this is a job that I am currently working. They are moving from company provided cell phones and are now asking that we use personal cell phones.

blaster

Beth thank you very much for the reply. One last question. So legally I could be required to drive a Porsche or Ferrari as a requirement of employment?? I know this is a bit on the absurd side, but my curiosity has been sparked.

pattytx

Blaster, not that it makes a difference as to whether this is legal or not, because it is, but are they going to reimburse you for the cost of the phone and its business use? If they are, why would you not do it?

You Are Guilty

pattytx said:
Blaster, not that it makes a difference as to whether this is legal or not, because it is, but are they going to reimburse you for the cost of the phone and its business use? If they are, why would you not do it?
Even if not, it's a tax write off.

blaster

They are going to reimburse a portion of the cost. Should be enough to cover a phone, but only partially cover a monthly plan. Currently there is no plan to cover business use beyond the initial minutes. So... I will be taking on a monthly expense as the full amount is not covered. I am also an on-call employee and it is likely I would frequently have business calls that would be beyond the alotted minutes. So I will have a guaranteed out of pocket expense monthly as well as a potential liablilty for additional minutes that could be very costly.

Beth3

I don't want to sound like a broken record but that's still legal. Your employer has no obligation to pay for your business expenses.

blaster

Tax write-off... I hadn't even thought of that. I would really like to thank all of you for responding. Your responses helped very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">