• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change in job responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

inbetweendayz

What is the name of your state? MT

I stepped down as a manager and in my resignation letter from that position I spelled out the exact duties I was willing to accept if they were interested in my staying on with the company. They agreed (not in writing) to those terms and now, a year later, I am being told that I will be taking on a project that will dramatically increase my responsibilities once again whether I like it or not. One part of this new job duty will entail my disbursing checks with my signature when I know the money will not be in the account but hopefully will be wired in before the check clears. I am uncomfortable with this as I feel that this could endanger me personally on a legal and moral level. Do I have any recourse besides quitting? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, quite frankly, you don't. Whether you like it or not, it is up to the company, not you, to determine what your job duties will be.

Beth3

Where did you get the idea that an employer may only assign job duties based on whether an employee will like them or not? If you don't like your duties, you're free to quit. Othewise, your job is to do what your employer requires you to do unless it violates a law.

Veronica1228

[I]
Beth3 said:
Where did you get the idea that an employer may only assign job duties based on whether an employee will like them or not? If you don't like your duties, you're free to quit. Othewise, your job is to do what your employer requires you to do unless it violates a law.
[/I]

Technically, writing a check on an account when there are not enough funds in the account to cover it is illegal. People and companies play the "float game" all the time, but it doesn't make it legal.

See if the bank your company uses has overdraft protection and or control disbursement options that will help you to feel more comfortable with signing these checks. Perhaps even a LOC?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">