• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing Promotion Rules...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bsharp

In 1998 I was hired by Washington State as a Microbiologist I. The minimum requirements for hiring are at least 30 credit hours of microbiology and a BS degree in the sciences. Since the time of my hire I have worked through the ranks and am now employed as a Microbiologist III on a temporary basis to fill a need in my department. A new director has since come aboard and is requesting that personnel to "change" or enforce the minimum requirements of 30 credit hours and they are now disputing whether I have those minimum requirements. There have also been others that have been hired with less experience and education as me. My degree is in Chemistry/Biology and I fully disclosed my course transcripts when I was hired. I also have 7 years experience working as a microbiologist. My supervisor wants me to go back to college on my own time to complete those college credits or I can never be a permanent Microbiologist III. I never would have taken a job that would not allow me advancement. Is it legal for them to change the promotion rules once someone has been hired in a professional position?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">