• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changiung compensation basis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Diffus

Situation: Joe was asked to come to work for XYZ Roofing company as a salesman. The compensation offered was 45% of gross profit.

Initially, gross profit was defined as revenue minus labor costs minus materials costs. However, not longer after Joe joined XYZ Roofing, Mike, the company's owner, announced that he would begin keeping 7.5% of revenue to cover overhead expenses, such as telephone, supplies, advertising, etc. (The 7.5% was based not on actual or anticipated expenses, but rather on Mike's survey of what his competitors were doing.) Joe's compensation was thus effectively reduced to 41.85% of gross profit.

Joe is an accountant by training (he sold roofs after being
downsized). He knows that the term "gross profit" has a very specific meaning: It's what's left over after subtracting the cost of the goods sold from revenue. Overhead expenses come after gross profit. Mike is not an accountant by training; he chooses to define gross profit as what's left over after all expenses associated with a job, including the overhead allocation, have been deducted. Mike has altered the terms of Joe's compensation not by changing the commission percentage, but by changing the definition of the basis against which the percentage is applied.

Questions:

1) Has Mike violated the terms of the (unwritten, by the way)
compensation agreement he made with Joe by chandging how he defines gross profit, from revenue minus labor minus materials, to revenue minus labor expenses minus materials expenses minus the overhead allocation?

2) If so, what recourse does Joe, who is now no longer with the
company (Joe resigned to take an accounting job), have?

Thanks for any advice.

D

Diffus

It's not a duplicate post. One post concerns tax law; one concerns employment law.

D

Diffus

I really don't care what you think it sounds like, except to the extent that you're wasting time that you could have put to good use by addressing the questions -- assuming you know the answers -- by posting frivolous responses and insults instead. What's so difficult to understand about someone not wanting to identify his former employer by name when questioning the legality of the former employer's actions in a public forum?

R

Ramoth

Joe should take his signed employment contract to a local attorney for review.

HomeGuru

Diffus said:
I really don't care what you think it sounds like, except to the extent that you're wasting time that you could have put to good use by addressing the questions -- assuming you know the answers -- by posting frivolous responses and insults instead. What's so difficult to understand about someone not wanting to identify his former employer by name when questioning the legality of the former employer's actions in a public forum?
**A: and what's so difficult in following posting rules as noted above?

D

Diffus

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Apparently, I have violated a (or some) posting rule(s). If you'd mentionde that in the first place, instead of resoirting to name-calling, perhaps we would have made progress sooner.

I searched the area "above" for a link but couldn't find what you were referrring to. I did go back to the home page and found a link to some terms and conditions, but I didn't find anything there that my post is in violation of. Certainly it's not my intention to come here, in my quest for advice, and violate the rules of the forum.

Could you enlighten me as to what "posting rules" I have not followed?

HomeGuru

Diffus said:
Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Apparently, I have violated a (or some) posting rule(s). If you'd mentionde that in the first place, instead of resoirting to name-calling, perhaps we would have made progress sooner.

I searched the area "above" for a link but couldn't find what you were referrring to. I did go back to the home page and found a link to some terms and conditions, but I didn't find anything there that my post is in violation of. Certainly it's not my intention to come here, in my quest for advice, and violate the rules of the forum.

Could you enlighten me as to what "posting rules" I have not followed?
**A: why can't you read it? TRY again.

D

Diffus

Ramoth said:
Joe should take his signed employment contract to a local attorney for review.
Thanks, Ramoth. Unfortunately, Joe doesn't have a signed contract. At the risk of supplying too much detail, Mike needed some help with his roofing business after a severe hailstorm increased his demand far beyond what he could handle as a one-man operation. A friend of Mike's put him in contact with Joe. After a brief interview, Mike asked Joe if he would like to come work for him. No documents -- contracts, W-4s, I-9s, etc. -- were signed.

When Mike told Joe at that time that he would pay Joe 45% of gross profit. Joe accepted the verbal offer. A month or two later, Mike told Joe and his fellow salesmen that he was redefining gross profit to include a 7.5%-of-revenue deduction for as an "overhead allocation." Again, no documents were signed.

I would think that, while Mike was perfectly free to redefine the percentage commission he was willing to pay, he is not free to arbitrarily redefine the generally accepted definition of the basis for that compensation.

D

Diffus

I see links to:

My FreeAdvice
Register
F.A.Q.
Search the forums
Forums home
Home Page
All Forums
Find a Lawyer
Post Your Case
Talk to a Lawyer Live
Find Legal Forms
Prepare Legal Documents
home page
and
search the forums archive.

To which link are you directing me?

Is it that much more difficult to be genuinely helpful to someone, or do you find it more fulfilling to be antagonistic?

D

Diffus

HomeGuru,

I may be a "dufus" and an "idiot," (I'd prefer the term "intellectually deficient") but that shouldn't disqualify me from seeking assistance, and it's certainly no reason for you not to simply point out either what posting guidelines I have violated, or, even more simply, what link I should explore to find the guidelines.

The only guideline that I can see that anyone has violated around here is the one against abusive language.

You obviously have no interest in providing any assistance, and to say that you ever did, strains my credulity, based on your posts. You've succeded in convincing me of the uselessness of this forum. You may now go antagonize someone else.

HomeGuru

Diffus said:
HomeGuru,

I may be a "dufus" and an "idiot," (I'd prefer the term "intellectually deficient") but that shouldn't disqualify me from seeking assistance, and it's certainly no reason for you not to simply point out either what posting guidelines I have violated, or, even more simply, what link I should explore to find the guidelines.

The only guideline that I can see that anyone has violated around here is the one against abusive language.

You obviously have no interest in providing any assistance, and to say that you ever did, strains my credulity, based on your posts. You've succeded in convincing me of the uselessness of this forum. You may now go antagonize someone else.
**A: US Law only. Please include your state.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">