• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Character Witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BEN7499

Idaho
I used to work for the State of Oregon, I was recently contacted by their Dept of Justice and asked to help them "catch" the other parties' main witness in a lie. I have no desire to get involved in any way and since I live in Idaho and the case is in Oregon, what could they do to me if I just refuse to help? I have not been Subpoenaed either.

mlane58

Idaho
I used to work for the State of Oregon, I was recently contacted by their Dept of Justice and asked to help them "catch" the other parties' main witness in a lie. I have no desire to get involved in any way and since I live in Idaho and the case is in Oregon, what could they do to me if I just refuse to help? I have not been Subpoenaed either.
If you refuse to voluntarily assist them, they will subpoena you and if you refuse that, then expect a warrent for your arrest.

BEN7499

can you explain further, I don't understand how I can be forced to get involved in a matter in a state that has no jurisdiction over me?

fairisfair

I respectfully disagree with M. on this one. You might be subpeona'd to testify, but you will not be subpeona'd to assist them in some kind of a sting operation. Tell them that you are in another state and have no desire to involve yourself. If they want you after that, then they will find you.

BEN7499

So since I am out of state that has no bearing over anything? If they do issue a warrant for my arrest? What is the worst they could do?

Beth3

So since I am out of state that has no bearing over anything? If they do issue a warrant for my arrest? What is the worst they could do?
1. Correct. Your living in another State is irrelevant.

2. They'd only issue a warrant for your arrest if you are subpoenaed and fail to appear.

3. The judge could toss you in jail for contempt of court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">