+ Reply to Thread
    BEN7499 is offline Junior Member

Post Character Witness

Idaho
    I used to work for the State of Oregon, I was recently contacted by their Dept of Justice and asked to help them "catch" the other parties' main witness in a lie. I have no desire to get involved in any way and since I live in Idaho and the case is in Oregon, what could they do to me if I just refuse to help? I have not been Subpoenaed either.
    mlane58 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEN7499 View Post
    Idaho
    I used to work for the State of Oregon, I was recently contacted by their Dept of Justice and asked to help them "catch" the other parties' main witness in a lie. I have no desire to get involved in any way and since I live in Idaho and the case is in Oregon, what could they do to me if I just refuse to help? I have not been Subpoenaed either.
    If you refuse to voluntarily assist them, they will subpoena you and if you refuse that, then expect a warrent for your arrest.
    can you explain further, I don't understand how I can be forced to get involved in a matter in a state that has no jurisdiction over me?
    fairisfair is offline Senior Member
    I respectfully disagree with M. on this one. You might be subpeona'd to testify, but you will not be subpeona'd to assist them in some kind of a sting operation. Tell them that you are in another state and have no desire to involve yourself. If they want you after that, then they will find you.
    So since I am out of state that has no bearing over anything? If they do issue a warrant for my arrest? What is the worst they could do?
    VeronicaLodge is offline Senior Member
    i agree with fairisfair
    Beth3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEN7499 View Post
    So since I am out of state that has no bearing over anything? If they do issue a warrant for my arrest? What is the worst they could do?
    1. Correct. Your living in another State is irrelevant.

2. They'd only issue a warrant for your arrest if you are subpoenaed and fail to appear.

3. The judge could toss you in jail for contempt of court.
    A person, who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)