• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Checking education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uglydork

What is the name of your state? NY
If I lie on an application and state that I went to college and graduated can an employer check this? is there any way for the employer to check such things?

Skylyn

It would be impossible for them to check. I mean, who would think to call up the college you "graduated" from and ask if you went there?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they legally can; yes, there are ways for them to do it; yes, if you lie on the application and they check and find out you lied, you will not be hired. What's more, if they don't find it out until after you are hired you can bet that you will be fired. And it will be perfectly legal.

Don't do it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Skylyn, don't kid yourself. Any competent employer would think to do that; I've done it myself.

Beth3

It is very simple to verify educational credentials and many employers do so as it's the #1 thing candidates lie about on their application or resume. I strongly advise you not to do this, uglydork.

I wholeheartedly agree with cbg and Beth3. My school lost an employee after she had been working here almost a year. She submitted the transcript of another student where she obtained the alleged degree and was forced to resign when HR found out. Don't do it!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, Skylyn. Cut me a break, it wasn't even 7:00 a.m. yet my time when I posted that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">