• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil process for collecting payment from fomer employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dcrown0301

What is the name of your state? Texas

My employer abruptly stopped paying me and several other people July 31 of this year and told me I could continue to work there for free. I gave them several weeks to catch up on the late payroll and when they didn't, I refused to go to work. The Texas Workforce Commission ruled it as a layoff. I filed a number of claims for past due wages and severange (I was under employment contract). I won most of these claims and the employer has been forced to pay everything except the 3 months of severance covered by my employment contract. The state labor board here says those would be "payments in lieu of notice" and are outside their jurisdiction.

My questions are:
What are payments in lieu of notice and is there a gov't agency that would have that as part of their jurisdiction?
Should I appeal the TWC ruling on my severance?
Should I hire an attorney to file a civil claim? My former employer already has a number of judgments against him from vendor litigation and he does not appear to honor them. Do former employees have rights that vendors do not when it comes to collecting on judgements or will I be "in line" with other people he owes money to?

The amount in question is $35,000 so it seems worth fighting for.

Thanks,
Denise

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">