• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil rights + Discrimination + Labor Laws = Fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Myrene00

I was working third shift in a store. Recently I asked my manager if a person could be placed on third shift with me so that I could take my breaks as required by law. Since I was the only one in the store from 10pm to 6am I asked what should I do if I got sick or hurt while at work...who would I call. The manager replied, "Don't call me, I am not coming in...you have to stay here til 6am when someone gets here to relieve you." Frustrated with the answer I said, "Well, if I get hurt severely enough or sick enough that I need to leave I guess I will call an ambulance." Not only was I not given any breaks working as much as fifteen hours a day, another employee refused to serve me while I was off the clock, and I was fired the day after I asked the questions of my manager. The manager admitted that I was fired because of the question/comment and because some of the other emplyees didn't "like" me. She said that they couldn't worry about me getting sick and leaving in the middle of my shift. I was only fired. No warning, write up, or anything. Another employee slept for two hours on third shift and was not fired. I feel as if I had a different policy and procedure than the rest of the employees doing the same job. I realize that KY is an at will state but it is so obvious that they fired me because I was requesting my breaks. Shouldn't I be able to do something about this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">