• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Clocking out and waiting.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mcwill

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I work at a fast food restaurant and generally work the closing hours. Our policy is that all workers leave together, so when one of us is finished with our work, we must wait for everybody else to get done so we can all leave at the same time.

My boss tells us, that when we are done with our work, we must clock out, and then wait for everybody else to finish. Sometimes this can take up to a half hour.

Do we have to wait for them if we are clocked out?
Do we have to clock out at all?

It seems to me, that if we are forced to wait, even though we are not doing anything, we should be getting paid for our time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It would seem that way to me, too.

What is the reasoning behind having you all leave at the same time?

M

Mcwill

We have to all leave together for security reasons. Less likely to be robbed if we stick to a group.

Beth3

Sounds like your boss is between a rock and a hard place. He likely can't afford to pay staff for sitting around and doing nothing at the end of their shifts; on the other hand, he's doing what is advisable to ensure everyone's personal safety. Yes, the law does say that if your employer mandates you to be at work, you must be compensated for the time but what would you personally prefer? Leave alone at the end of the shift and take your chances or cool your heels for a while unpaid so you can leave as a group? Up to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">