• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-worker caught stilling.Threating to sue for being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kristi_lea

A co-work asked our boss if she could store stuff up in the stores attic since she lives in an apartment and doesn't have very much storage space. Over the years many boxes started to pile up. Over 400 I would say. The boss asked me to go up in the attic and clear a path for the electricians. We had cash registers blowing fuses. While the
electricians were up in the attic they knocked over a few boxes. They opened and store items came falling out. The boxes are clearly marked with her name and what area of the apartment the items in the box should belong to, such as "Bathroom" ...BUT inside the box is 20 razors with the stores price markers on them. Here's the problem. The co-worker has worked at this store for over 20 years. I know she did some bartering with the owner in the past..she would do some extra work ..for some store credit. Well another co-worker and I showed our boss and he asked us to open up the other boxes and take inventory. We started too but stopped once the total rounded around $8,000 to 10,000. dollars. Needless to say our boss fired her and now she is threatens that what we did was illegal. That she has paid for all of the items in the boxes over the years. Which is B.S. I have never checked her out nor has any of the other workers. Her next fall back is the bartering that she did with the boss ...that all of the items up in the attic are part of the bartering. My Question is ...I feel as thought she has no grounds to Sue..but I would like to have
some advice on this matter. Our boss cut his losses and told her to just take it all ...store stuff and hers. He said it won't make him rich and it won't break him to give that "stuff" away. But I feel different. I feel she should not get 1 thing that has a store label on it. Like I said before over 8,000 dollars and that was just 1/4 of the boxes we went through. They are on his property but labeled with her name. I guess she also has some dirt on our boss and I guess he is hoping she will keep her mouth shut if he just lets her have these items. But I know that will not happen ..I mean this woman keeps score I think she might be a little sick in the head too. Need some free advice !!!

ALawyer

If she sues you, then that's time to get upset.

But if your boss wants to get rid of her and let her keep the stuff, that's your boss' call, and butting out makes sense. It is probably far cheaper to let her keep the stuff and get out than face a lawsuit for age discrimination or disability (mental ilnes) discriminatuion.

Of course if you beleive your boss is also a crook, and his boss should know about it, that's an area I don't want to get into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">