• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cobra Insurance Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1PDnAZ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
. I will try to make this brief, after receiving unemployment from AZ for 4 months, I received a letter stating that i was not eligible because my employer stated that I was terminated for gross misconduct. When I was let go, my supervisor told me i was being let go because the store was overstaffed and if business picked up they would be happy to rehire me. I appealed the decision and won the appeal.

In May I was offered a chance to be reinstated in the Cobra Health insurance program. I accepted the offer, and paid my first two monthly payments. shortly after I started the Cobra program is when I stopped receiving my unemployment benifits due to the lies my employer reported to the state of AZ. As a consequence of not receiving my unemployment for 8 weeks, I was not able to pay my July insurance premium, which I had been paying directly to my former employer. 30 days passed, and my insurance was cancelled.
I called Cobra and asked if I could get reinstated. they said it was at the discretion of the employer. I called my former employeer and she said she had already sent in the cancellation notice and couldn't do anything about it.

So my question is this. Since I was not able to pay my insurance premium due to the fact my former employer filed a false statement resulting in my temporary loss of benefits, Do I have a case against my former employer?

ecmst12

Once cobra is cancelled, they are under NO obligation to reinstate it for any reason - you can't force them to do so.

commentator

You should have been backpaid for the weeks of unemployment you missed when your claim was reinstated--if you kept filing as instructed while this was being fixed. But by not paying the premium, regardless of the reason you didn't pay it, you did away with the company's responsibility to provide COBRA. You need to find a private insurer or a new job with medical coverage, both a near-impossibility in this day and time. Good luck to you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">